Google Videos is an excellent app for all those looking to watch or rent movies on their Android devices. Although the app was able to make quite a distinction with it’s unique features, still the root / temper check made it worthless for Androiders with rooted devices. Ften, SDX member and Android hacker, has managed to modify the Google Videos app and has released a version that will bypass root and temper check officially integrated in the app. The hack basically fixes the issue on standalone Google Videos app and also does the same for Market Integrated version.
This modified Google Videos app isn’t an attempt to view movies without renting them. This isn’t going to happen and you will still have to rent movies from the app in order to watch them on your phone / tab. Here is what the developer has to say about this: View in gallery
This bypass doesn’t affect the actually DRM licensing, it will still generate a proper license key, you will still be limited to the normal viewing times, you will still have to pay to rent movies, etc. Don’t ask, because it’s not happening. It just bypasses/disabled the root check.
The app is compatible on all devices running Android 2.2 Froyo and Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Apparently the app is meant to work on any Android device with root privileges. The compatibility of this app isn’t known for Honeycomb but we’ll suggest that you try to see if it works.
Here is the step by step guide to install modified Google Videos App on rooted phones / tabs:
- The first step is to get rid of previously installed Google Videos app from your phone. You can uninstall the app from Settings > Application or use any 3rd party uninstaller to do the deed.
- Once done, download Modified Google Videos App APK for rooted devices from here and save it on your desktop.
- Now connect your phone to the computer, mount SD Card or SD Ext as flash drive and copy the downloaded APK to SD Card root.
- Now disconnect your phone from the computer and use any available File Manager to flash / install the apk.
- Once the apk is installed, launch the app and enjoy the awesomeness of Google Videos on your Android phone / tab with root.
Ften has spent quite sometime in developing this app and you can thank him / her personally by going to SDX Forums thread here.