The HTC One X (GSM) and One S get ClockworkMod Touch recovery! This touch based recovery from Koush has been released for quite a while, for a handful of Android devices, but has just made it’s way onto the newly released HTC One X and the One S just after the device was released over a week back. The touch recovery is a serious improvement over the older ClockworkMod recovery and gives the user a very intuitive way of using the recovery. You can always install it via ROM Manager by paying a meager $1.99, but if for some reason you don’t want to do that, there’s always the manual, and cheaper method. We take a look at how you can manually install the recovery on your HTC One X and One S, after the break.
For those of you, who are completely oblivious to the concept of a custom recovery and what it has to offer, should see our guide on what is ClockworkMod recovery and how to use it on Android. Now that you understand what purpose custom recoveries serve, let’s get down to flashing the recovery on the One X and One S.
Before we proceed with this, you should know, that for now, you will be unable to mount the device in USB Mass Storage mode while in recovery, the device won’t charge (skeptic) and you can’t flash the downloaded recovery via ROM Manager.
Disclaimer: Please attempt this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be responsible in case your device bricks or any other damage occurs due to this method.
- A rooted HTC One X or One S. See our guide on rooting the HTC One X here, and for rooting the HTC One S here.
- ClockworkMod Touch recovery for HTC One X | HTC One S.
- Interim ClockworkMod Touch recovery by paulobrien and flashable ClockworkMod Touch recovery by Koush for the HTC One S. (This should be used incase flashing via fastboot fails.)
- ADB installed. See our guide on what is ADB and how to install it.
- To begin, download the recovery image for your device from the link above and copy it to the platform tools folder in the Android SDK you have.
- Rename the file to, recovery-touch for your convenience.
- Boot into the bootloader mode by holding down the Volume Down key and pressing the Power key. Once in bootloader mode, select fastboot using the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select.
- Connect your phone to the computer, and open up command prompt or terminal and enter the following command to check if the device is connected and recognized:
If a device is listed, you’re good to go.
- Using terminal or the command prompt, Navigate to the location where fastboot.exeis and enter the following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-touch.img fastboot reboot
That’s it! your phone should reboot now and the ClockworkMod Touch recovery has been installed on your device. Try booting into the recovery by entering the bootlaoder and selecting Recovery from the menu.
Incase the recovery does not flash via fastboot for the HTC One S, you should install the Interim recovery by paulobrien using steps 2 to 5. That done, boot into recovery as mentioned above and flash the flashable ClockworkMod Touch recovery by Koush.