View in galleryGoogle recently pushed Android 2.3 Gingerbread source code to AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and the developer community has been busy cooking up some custom Gingerbread ROMs over the weekend. We will bring you some of these ROMs for popular Android devices today. The first in this series is the Oxygen Gingerbread ROM for HTC Desire. If you want to install it to your device, continue reading after the break.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
The Oxygen ROM is one of the cleanest, fastest and most popular custom ROMs available for HTC Desire. It is based directly on the AOSP code. This Gingerbread release we’re featuring here is called Oxygen v2.0 PRE-BETA and is brought to you by XDA-Developers forum member AdamG. Despite being in pre-beta stage, everything except for video recording is working fine. There might be some quirks along the way but overall, it’s a smooth and fast experience. At present, some of the modifications from the previous Android 2.2.1 based stable releases are not included but will make their way in future stable releases once everything gets ironed out.
To install this ROM:
- Make sure your device is rooted. You can root it by following our HTC Desire rooting guide.
- Download the ROM from the link given below, and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Power your device off and reboot it in recovery.
- To backup all the contents of your previous OS, perform a nandroid backup.
- Wipe all data, clear cache and then from the advanced options in recovery, clear dalvik cache.
- Choose the ‘install zip from sd card’ option, select the ROM’s zip file that you copied to the SD card in step 2 and wait patiently while the new ROM is flashed to your device.
- Once the flashing is done, reboot your device.
That’s it, you now have the Oxygen v2.0 Gingerbread PRE-BETA ROM installed on your HTC Desire. For updates, bug reports or feature requests, head over to the ROM’s XDA-Developers forum thread.
Note: This download link is for the test build 4 and is the only one currently available. It will likely not be valid later. Development of this ROM is going at quite a fast pace, so do make sure to head over to the forum thread to see if a new one’s out by the time you decide to install it.
EDIT: The old forum and download is dead, as the ROM has been updated. The new download link for the update is being provided here. Instructions remain the same. Check out the new forum thread for more details.
Download Oxygen v2.0-RC7 for HTC Desire (Link dead; visit the new forum thread link above to see if any of the users have posted mirrors.)