View in galleryWhile the Samsung Galaxy S II is all set to receive its due share of Ice Cream Sandwich officially sometimes this quarter, waiting is not always an option for eager and avid Android fans. There have been a few leaks of ICS for the Galaxy S II before but this time, the device gets Android 4.0.3 (I9100XXLPB) where the build date is the 29th of January, and while still an Alpha/Beta release, this ROM is looking really stable and ready to be used as a daily ROM according to the folks over at Sammobile.
There have been a few changes to the ROM, compared to the XXLP6 build. The interface has some kind of 3D scrolling effect, the battery life is a lot better compared to the earlier builds and possibly more. Facelock, performance and touch etc., seem to be the same as XXLP6.
That said, installation of this ROM, has been mad a breeze by XDA-Developers forum member wanam who has released a deodexed and rooted version of this ROM while keeping it totally stock otherwise, thus allowing you to flash it via ClockworkMod recovery.
Images below, courtesy of Sammobile.
View in gallery View in gallery View in gallery
Now that you understand what you’re dealing with here, and want to give this ROM a run on your Galaxy S II, here’s how you can do that.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A SGS II. See our guide on rooting the Galaxy S II.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. Install via ROM Manager from the Market.
- XXLPB ROM – rooted and deodexed.
- To begin, download the ROM and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Now reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Once the ROM is chosen, it will be flashed to the device and will take a few minutes.
- When the ROM is installed, simply reboot your device.
For updates and queries, head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.