The HTC Desire S being one of the latest Android devices by the Taiwanese phone manufatcurer, is shipped with HTC’s Sense 2.1 UI. While Sense 2.1 UI is not that bad, it is nothing like Sense 3.0 aesthetically. The latest phone does not get the latest version of the UI? You have to wonder why, but why dwell into something pointless while developers at XDA-Developers, namely, Flemmard, Diamondback, chrisch1974, rmk, mdj, seo and eViL D manage to port the Sense 3.0 onto the Desire S and some other HTC phones packed into a slick 2.3.3 Gingerbread based custom ROM.
The ROM name Virtuous Unity is the first custom Sense 3.0 based ROM that has been scaled for WVGA screens. Following are the features of the ROM as of right now:
- Based on the official Sensation shipping ROM (220.127.116.11).
- Ported for full functionality on each supported devices. Additional device support is being added regularly.
- Resized for WVGA (800×480) displays, using a purpose built tool to modify HTC’s proprietary m10 binaries, developed by Flemmard and Diamondback.
- Heavily optimized for fluid performance and usability.
- Overclocked kernels with numerous additional kernel modules.
- Built-in screen state frequency scaling (1.2Ghz-245MHz/ondemand screen-on, 806Mhz-245Mz/conservative screen-off), via custom built Virtuous_OC C daemon.
- Wi-Fi calling (T-Mobile USA only).
- Fully functional device hardware, including wifi, bluetooth, camera, camcorder, etc.
- Market-sourced applications (Gmail, Maps, Voice, etc) automatically installed on first boot into /data/app for easy removal.
- Bloatware and unnecessary applications removed.
For a complete changelog, head over to this page. You can see a few screenshots of the ROM courtesy of the developers.
We have tried this ROM on our Desire HD and we have to say, it ran very smooth and we encountered no bugs at all. So if you wish to give this ROM a try on your Desire S, let us show you how you can install it.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- An HTC Desire S with S-Off. See our guide on gaining S-Off on the HTC Desire S.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- Virtuous Unity.
- To begin, download the ROM from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to Install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to the SD card.
- Let the ROM install, and once it does, simply reboot the device.
For updates and queries related to this ROM, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.