Those of you with the AT&T Galaxy S II Skyrocket Android device may have gotten root access, but if you were looking forward to custom ROMs for your device, those are still not here as yet. However, there’s no need to be disappointed as XDA-Developers forum member r34p3rex has come up with a solution that lets you run custom ROMs meant for the the T-Mobile Galaxy S II on your Skyrocket. Even better the method involved is actually quite easy, so till the developers manage to release a ROM cooked strictly for the Skyrocket, you can enjoy T-Mobiles custom ROMs! We’ll show you just what you need and how you need to go about it to run those ROMS.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Galaxy S II Skyrocket. See our guide on rooting the Galaxy S II Skyrocket with SuperOneClick.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- Skyrocket conversion file.
- To begin, download the ROM of your choice meant for the T-Mobile Galaxy S II and the Conversion zip file from the link above.
- Place both the ROM and the conversion package on the root of your SD card.
- Reboot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM you copied to the SD card.
- Once the ROM is flashed, repeat step 5 again, this time selecting the conversion package.
- All done? Simple reboot your device now.
If all goes well, you should boot into your new custom ROM. However, you will now need to manually add your APN. Those with LTE access should use the following APN settings:
Name: ATT pta
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port: 80
APN type: internet + mms
For updates and queries, refer to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.