CyanogenMod 6.1 Android 2.2 Froyo is nearly complete for HTC Desire Z / T-Mobile G2 and will be out soon after it goes through necessary testing. In the meanwhile, Cyanogen has released Vision BaconBits 0.3 for those who want to have some early taste of CM 6.1 on their handsets.The Vision BaconBits is basically a heavily modded kernel based on HTC Desire HD 220.127.116.11 release.
Here are some important features of this pre-CM6.1 kernel release for the HTC Desire Z / T-Mobile G2:
* Unified Vision/Ace kernel with overclocking and lots of goodies – https://github.com/CyanogenMod/htc-kernel-vision (oc from coolbho3000, install SetCPU to use it)
* Notification lights fix – flash speaker LED for notifications
* Set ro.secure=0
* Add Superuser from ChainsDD
The kernel can be flashed / installed on your rooted HTC Desire Z / T-Mobile G2 following this guide:
- The first step is to download Vision BaconBits 0.3 Kernel and save it on your desktop.
- Once done, download ROM Manager from Market on your phone. Please note that you will only be able to flash this kernel if you have the latest ROM Manager installed on your handset.
- Now connect your phone to the computer, mount SD card and copy the earlier downloaded zip file to SD card root.
- Launch ROM Manager and tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. This will plant recovery image to be used in flashing the kernel on your phone.
- Once the installation / flashing of recovery is complete, go ahead and tap on Reboot Phone in Recovery.
- Once your phone is booted into recovery, scroll down to Flash Zip From SD Card and select the option.
- Now follow onscreen instructions to install Vision-Baconbits.zip file.
- Once the installation is complete, reboot your phone.
There you go! You now have Vision BaconBits 3.0 installed on your HTC Desire Z / T-Mobile G2.
Disclaimer: Please follow this procedure at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be held responsible if this method incurs any permanent or non-permanent damage to your device.