iH8sn0w has announced a new version of jailbreak tool, sn0wbreeze, that will jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS and iPod Touch 2G MC /3G on iOS 4.1 and 4.2. Although it is announced that soon these tools will be available for public consumption, but still there is no estimated time of release associated. In case you are getting impatient and want to upgrade your iPhone 3GS to iOS 4.2 and jailbreak, then you can do it through PwnageTool 4.01.
This jailbreak method is only intended for advanced users who have ample hands-on jailbreak experience. The guide requires you to have iOS 4.2 Beta 1 Firmware which can be downloaded if you are associated with Apple’s Developer or enterprise program. This guide will only work if you previously jailbreak iPhone 3GS with other tools on earlier Firmwares. Apart from this, you also need:
iOS 4.2 Beta 1
msft.guy’s PwnageTool Bundle (No longer seems to be available)
- The first step is download iTunes 10, PwnageTool 4.01 along with PwnageTool Bundle and save on your Mac’s desktop [Or wherever your prefer].
- Now right click PwnageTool that you just downloaded and click Show Package Contents.
- Once this is done, go to Contents> Resources> FirmwareBundles. Copy the earlier downloaded PwnageTool Bundle File and paste it here. [The file is named as iPhone2,1_4.2_8C5091e.bundle].
- Once this is done, close the window and launch PwnageTool Bundle by double clicking the icon.
- Select expert mode and follow onscreen instructions to cook custom iOS 4.2 ROM. You can also consult this post if any of PwnageTool instructions confuse you.
- Once this is done, restore your iPhone 3GS using iTunes. [You will have to connect your phone to the computer and then launch iTunes, press shift plus update and point to the custom iOS 4.2 Firmware you just made using PwnageTool 4.01.]
There you go! you now have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS on iOS 4.2 Beta 1. You might not be able to see Cydia as it is not compatible with this version yet. It is advised to wait for an easier jailbreak to surface in case you have any doubt regarding usability and integrity of this method.
Disclaimer: Please Follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be held responsible in case you incur any permanent or non-permanent damage to your device using thiS Guide.