Good news for iPod Touch 2G owners, RedSn0w has been updated to support iPod touch 2G. It also enables Multitasking and home-screen wallpaper on iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (which is disabled by Apple by default).
To carry out this jailbreak you will need to have a Mac and iTunes 9.2 Beta. This is still pretty much developer oriented procedure as per instructions from iphwn.org. This RedSn0w doesn’t allow carrier unlock and it is advised to wait for the final release of redSn0W that might include the unlocking tool with the bundle. Here are the instructions on how to jailbreak your iPod Touch 2G iOS 4 with this.
We have also previously posted detailed procedure of jailbreaking your iPhone 3G running iOS 4. All you will need to do is follow the same procedure but download the new RedSn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5 file instead of the previous one.
Update: Step-By-Step Instructions to Jailbreak iPod touch 2G have been released and here they are:
To Jailbreak your iPod touch 2G, you will need to follow these step by step instructions:
- First you will need to download iOS 4 firmware on Mac and restore your iPod Touch 2G with iTunes 9.2 beta using this.
- After you have installed the iOS 4 on your iPod Touch 3G, launch RedSn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5
- Once RenSn0w starts running, press the browser button and select iOS 4 Beta 4 for iPod Touch 2G.
- Now check mark Cydia and press next
- Now follow on screen instructions on putting your iPod Touch 2G into DFU mode for the jailbreak installation.
- Your iPod Touch will reboot and you will see that Cydia having a black icon. Now go to Cydia > Sources and add repo: http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7. Make sure that you are connected to the internet via WI-FI
- Now Cydia will restart and you will be able to see the original Cydia icon.
Update 1: You can now Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G iOS 4 on Windows. Follow the step-by-step guides given here.