View in galleryThe myTouch 4G and myTouch 4G Slide both sport a Genius button instead of the conventional search button that takes you directly to Google search. Earlier 21productionz of XDA-Developers managed to remap the Genius button on the myTouch 4G to Google Search, and now XDA-Developers forum member nyolsson has done the same for the myTouch 4G Slide.
So if you own a myTouch 4G Slide and not particularly fond of the Genius button’s original purpose and want it to serve the Google Search function, here’s a quick tutorial on how you can do that. One word of warning though before you continue, you are editing sensitive system critical files so be very careful and do not mess up.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted myTouch 4G Slide. See our guide on rooting the myTouch 4G Slide.
- Any root explorer app. For example Root Explorer.
- To begin, run the root explorer app and navigate to /system/usr/keylayout.
- Make sure to mount the partition as R/W.
- Find the file named doubleshot-keypad.kl and keep it pressed and select the Open in Text Editor option.
- Go to Line 5 showing key 188 with FUNC_4 next to it. Replace FUNC_4 with SEARCH.
- Scroll down a bit and you will see # column 3. Here FUNC_4 next to key 184 needs to be replaced with SEARCH as well.
- Once that is done, hit the Menu button and save the changes made. Root Explorer automatically makes a backup of all the files edited.
That’s it! The Genius button has been remapped to Google Search. Incase you wish to revert to the stock function, simply replace SEACRCH with FUNC_4 in the edited file. For updates and queries, related to this mod, refer to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.