People say reading has gone out of fashion with the advent of smartphones, internet and technology in general. That might be true, but books are, and will always remain, the most common source of knowledge. Now you don’t have to buy books made of paper (although some still prefer it). Like many other things books have gone virtual too, and you don’t even have to spend your energy to read anymore. There are audiobooks for that. Windows Phone 7 doesn’t support Audio books, neither does its latest update (Mango). However, there is a workaround named ElWPAudioBooks that, according to the developer, performs the simple task of making your audiobooks appear as a podcast feed to Zune, and as you very well know there is a special tab for podcasts in Zune. There is a catch though. Your books need to be in mp3 format. Good thing is, you don’t need Mango or an unlocked device to get audiobooks on your phone through this tool.
The app is pretty simple to use as it works in a step-by-step manner. To get started,
- Go to the download link given at the end of this post to grab the desktop tool.
- Once you have it, gather all the audiobooks and copy them to a folder which contains nothing except mp3 books.
- Name the folder to whatever you want your group of books to be named in your phone. Remember, you can’t edit or rename the books once you have transferred them to the device, so make all your changes right now.
- Now you are ready to run the tool. Give the path of your books folder to ElWPAudioBooks.
- You can skip the steps 2 & 4 present in the tool as they are related to how your books will appear in the device, and since you have already arranged them, this shouldn’t be much of an issue.
- As we told you earlier, your books will appear as a podcast in WP7, so you can associate a picture of your choice with the books. Simply point the tool to the path where you have kept the desired picture.
- Now you have to get a link to be given to Zune for the transfer of books. You can generate it by hitting the “Start fake podcast feeder” button present in the tool’s step 5.
- This will give you a link, copy it.
- Now get your phone connected and fire up Zune. Go to the Podcasts section under “Phone” and paste the copied link there.
- After you hit “Download” in Zune’s Podcasts section, it will begin to sync the books with your phone, which might take some time depending upon the size of the audiobooks.
That’s it. You will see all your audiobooks on your phone (under Zune’s podcasts tab) once Zune has finished syncing.
The desktop tool is free and can be downloaded at the link provided below.