Nexus S 4G gets Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich, but it only comes as a port for now, courtesy of Android Central forum member Beezy. Further credits go to gbhil, Cory Streater, Team Hydro and Dooderbutt. The port comes right after the recently released Android 4.0.3 OTA update for the Nexus S GSM device, and frankly we all saw this coming. However the actual update for the 4G should be coming out anytime now but if you want to give this ROM, named, ICS-Dooderbutt 4.0.3 v1 a run on your device, we can tell you that the ROM seems to have most stuff functioning very nicely, apart from Wi-Max of course and a broken camera as well.
Update: Android 4.0.4 ICS stock ROMs are now available for the Nexus S 4G and this particular ROM is now obsolete for all intents and purposes as a daily driver, and unavailable for download. We covered a guide on installing Android 4.0.4 ICS unofficial leak on t he Nexus S 4G, but you can find plenty more on the XDA-forums in the form of custom ROMs as well. However, while the SU app will be installed, it will not be functioning as it should, so do not be alarmed by this state. Any custom reovery will stay intact as well, in case you were worried about losing that.
The ROM is not entirely complete, but stuff like camera, bluetooth, Wi-Fi, 3G / data working for now. With this ROM, you will not loose your root access either, so if you don’t want to wait for the OTA update, and want to take a fairly well working ICS ROM for a spin on your Nexus S 4G, here’s what you need.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Nexus S 4G. See our guide on rooting the Nexus S 4G.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. Install via ROM Manager from the Market.
- To begin, download the ROM and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot the device into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the zip file.
- Once the file is flashed, simply reboot your device.
For updates and queries, head over to the forum thread at Android Central.
Images courtesy of Beezy.