Finally there is some great news for Verizon HTC Thunderbolt users as official Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread is rolling out now. Like all other major updates, this process is going to happen OTA so make sure that you are connected to internet via W-Fi or 3G. This update for HTC Thunderbolt is jam packed with fixes and features. We believe that this update isn’t meant for users with root and it will be a great idea to wait for some custom ROM to come integrated with this update.
The new update for HTC Thunderbolt promises improved Data Connectivity along with optimized andenhanced call history viewer. Apart from this, the update also improves Bluetooth discovery pop-up windows and comes with some onboard fixes to reduce battery drain on the phone. The update build is 2.11.605.3 with 1.39.00.06274r / 0.01.69.0625r and the following features come preloaded :
- My Verizon
- Data Usage Widget
- V CAST Music
- V CAST Video
How to get this official Android 2.3.4 Update on HTC Thunderbolt [Verizon]:
- The first step is to connect your phone over a stable Wi-Fi internet connection.
- Once done, tap on menu.
- Now tap to open Settings and go to About Phone Section.
- After you have the About Phone tab open, tap on Check for Update.
- Now you should get a pop-up that says “New Software Update From Verizon”.
- Tap on Ok and wait for the update to download. A download notification will now be visible in your phone drag-down notification bar.
- Once the update is downloaded, it will start the installation process automatically.
And there you go! You are now updated to the official Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread on your HTC Thunderbolt.
In case you haven’t received the OTA update notification and can’t wait to get your hands on this update, then there is a manual method available as well (thanks to Android Police).
- The first step is to download the Android 2.3.4 Update file for HTC Thunderbolt from here and save it on your desktop.
- Once done, connect your phone to the computer, Mount SD Card and copy the update file, you downloaded earlier, to SD Card root.
- After you are done with this, power off your phone.
- Now reboot your device while holding volume down button along with the Power key.
- Now your phone will prompt your for update, follow on-screen instructions from this point onwards and you will get an updated Thunderbolt.