A dual-core phone running at 1890Mhz sounds a bit crazy no? Not really, we’re talking Android here! And the beautiful hardware that is the HTC Sensation 4G. RootzWiki forum member TheDerekJay has recently released a custom kernel for the device, named demonspeed. While there are a few other features at hand, the most notable feature is the kernel’s overclocking ability taking the two CPU cores to a massive 1.89Ghz! While most may find the overclock useless, we are increasingly finding mobile phones fighting it out with some benchmarks just like Desktop computers. Why? Just to show that it can be done.
Credit also goes to Cayniarb for his fantastic coding work, Faux123, Erasmux, Scaryghoul, Nick Piggin, LeeDroid, Umaro, mdeejay, imoseyon, LorDClockaN for the reference or code and Raycaster3 for testing it out.
Of course, this does not mean the kernel is not meant for those not into pushing their phone to it’s limit, you could always OC it up a just a tad bit more than the original frequency, or well, at least you know you have the option to show off.
The kernel has the following features to offer in addition to the Overclocking ability.
- Patched to 188.8.131.52.
- OnDemand Governor default Gov set @ 222/1188MHz. (conservative, performance, ondemand, interactive, powersave, userspace governors also available.)
- Under Volt.
- NOOP I/O scheduler default.
- SLQB Memory Management.
- Built in WiFi Calling support.
- Compatible with all Gingerbread Sense ROMs.
The kernel is based on the HTC Pyramid source code found here. Now if you wish to give this kernel a go, here’s how you can install it on your Sensation 4G.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process
- A Sensation 4G with S-Off with ClockworkMod recovery installed. See our guide on gaining S-Off on and installing ClockworkMod recovery on the Sensation 4G. (Additionally if you don’t manage to get ClockworkMod via Revolutionary as told in the guide, refer to the manual installation of ClockworkMod recovery on the Sensation 4G.)
- Sensation 4G permanently rooted. See our guide on rooting the Sensation 4G.
- Deemonspeed v0.1 Beta kernel.
- To begin, download the ROM and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Now reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- That done, select wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Now navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Selecting the kernel will initiate the installation, and once its flashed, simply reboot your device.
That’s it, the kernel should now be functioning. For overclocking, use SetCPU and choose autodetect speeds recommended. For updates and queries related to this kernel, head over to the forum thread at RootzWiki.