Those of you considering buying an HTC EVO 4G but concerned about having to wait till the phone is rooted, we’ve got some great news for you. The device has been rooted a day before it is even released and as always, we’ve got you covered. If you want to be able to benefit from all the root-only apps, hacks, tweaks and mods on your device, read on for details and our complete step-by-step rooting instructions.
Yes, your aren’t dreaming this one. Not only has the device been rooted, but its rooting instructions are available before the device is available. The HTC EVO 4G is going to go on sale tomorrow in the US, and we have found a step by step guide at XDA-Developers that will enable you to root your HTC EVO 4G without any hassle as soon as you get your hands on it. Rooting will allow you to install and run several apps, hacks and mods requiring root access. In addition, it will also install a custom recovery to your device, that you can use to flash custom ROMs, hacks and mods from recovery that can’t be installed from stock recovery. So without any further ado, let’s get rooting.
To root your HTC EVO 4G, simply follow these instructions.
Disclaimer: Addictivetips is not responsible in case you brick your EVO 4G during the Rooting or ROM loading process.
Before you begin, you must download these files from the XDA-Developers forum link provided at the end of the post.
- Rooted PC36IMG.zip file
- evorecovery file
- ADB installed and configured on your PC. You can find instructions for that here.
- First of all, transfer the PC36IMG.zip file to your phone’s SD card’s root (that is not in any folder or sub-folder there).
- Next, power your phone off.
- Now keep the volume-down button pressed and then press and hold your power button (without releasing the volume-down button) till you see a white bootloader screen coming up.
- The bootloader will now start examining the files to find PC36IMG.zip. The progress will be indicated by a bluish progress bar.
- After the file is detected, you will be prompted if you want to flash. Confirm it according to the instructions given on the screen.
- Once the file has been flashed, you will be prompted if you are ready to reboot your phone. Confirm it too. Your EVO 4G is now rooted.
- Once your phone boots, connect it to your PC via USB.
- Open a command prompt window and enter these command one by one:adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip adb reboot recovery
- Now extract the contents of the downloaded evorecovery file to your computer in a folder.
- From those extracted file, run recovery-windows.bat if you are on Windows, or run ./recovery-linux.sh from a terminal window if you are on Linux. This should install the custom evorecovery on your phone.
- Now get back to your phone and perform a backup on it from the newly installed recovery (you should see it automatically this time, due to the previous step). This should help you revert things back to this stage if something goes wrong later on when you flash ROMs or hacks from recovery.
Congratulation – your HTC EVO 4G is now rooted with a custom recovery installed and this setup backed up. For more information and to download the required files, visit the XDA-developers thread.