Those of you owning a non rooted Samsung Droid Charge Android phone are in luck, as for now you can root your device easily and not have to deal with the cumbersome ADB commands that were involved in rooting the Droid Charge originally. The current root method involves flashing a custom kernel via ODIN, and once you do that, you would not only have complete root access, but have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the device as well. All of this has been made possible thanks to XDA-Developers forum member jt1134. The kernel should work fine on the ED2 Froyo firmware, and it is recommended that you be on ROM that was built on that particular firmware, before you proceed ahead with flashing this kernel on your Droid Charge.
The kernel includes a couple of more features in addition to the recovery and root.
- Includes Voodoo ext4 lagfix.
- Low memory killer tweaks.
- SD card read ahead cache speed tweak.
- Installs Superuser and su binary automatically on boot.
When you flash the kernel, you will hear the phone tell you exactly what is going on and it will take a few minutes since your file system is being converted from RFS to Ext4. To disable Voodoo lagfix and convert back to RFS, simply create a file on your SD card inside the Voodoo folder, named disable-lagfix. Then reboot your phone and listen for the voices again. This will also take a few minutes.
So how do you get all of this up and running on your Droid Charge? Let us show you how.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- To begin, download the kernel from the link above and make sure that the USB drivers for the Droid Charge are installed.
- Now run ODIN and make sure Re-Partition is unchecked.
- Click on PDA, and when prompted to, choose the kernel that you just downloaded.
- Put the phone in download mode and connect it to the PC via USB.
- Once you see the phone connected in ODIN, hit the Start button to begin the flashing process.
Voila! Your phone should restart once the kernel is flashed. Wait patiently for it to reboot. For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.