View in galleryAnyone familiar with computer memory knows that RAM is the fastest memory on board any device. Usually only the required components of the operating system and running programs are loaded in RAM, while everything else resides on secondary storage. Running an entire operating system as well as file system from RAM has incredible effect on the performance. While several Android ports have been made for the HTC HD2, you can now run Android 2.2 FroYo on your HD2 at blazing fast speeds, from its RAM, thanks to the famous developer DarkStone1337 at XDA-Developers forums,
This build is called SuperRAM FroYo 1.2 beta and is based on stock Android 2.2 FroYo. To make it light, the developer has not included HTC Sense with it and the only modifications to the stock features are the keyboard, the launcher and a few menu options.
As with any other Android builds for the HTC HD2, this ROM does not replace its Windows Mobile 6.5 OS. In fact it does not modify the existing operating system or the files on the phone memory at all and installs on the storage card, which makes it safe to try out. However, t is advisable to start with a blank SD card for your Android installation but in case you’re using your existing one, make sure to backup any data that you have on it.
The users who tried it out were so overwhelmed by its speed that the moderators at the forum thread had to set a warning that those who continue to make posts there just to praise the ROM’s speed will get infractions. It achieves this speed by loading up the entire operating system and file system to ROM when booting the HD2 in Android. The user data is saved in the storage due to the volatile nature of ram so that in case the device runs out of battery, the users do not lose anything.
Despite loading everything but user data in RAM, there is still enough RAM left for you to run programs and use the device without running out of memory.
To install this ROM to your HD2:
- Download the ROM from the link given below, and extract it to a folder on your computer.
- Connect your HD2 to your computer and transfer the extracted contents of the ROM to the root of its SD card.
- Download the Kernel update from the link given below, and extract its contents to a folder on your computer.
- From the extracted files, copy the ‘zImage’ file, the ‘root’ folder and the ‘update’ folder to the ‘Android’ folder that you transferred to the root of your SD card in Step 2. Overwrite the existing files when prompted.
- Reboot your HD2, launch File Explorer and navigate to the ‘Android’ folder on the root of your SD card.
- Run ‘CLRCAD.exe’ followed by ‘Haret.exe’, and you’re done! Your phone will now boot into Android 2.2 FroYo running from its RAM.
Once you’re done flashing the ROM, you can make using your device in both its operating systems even easier. Just head over to our feature on how to selectively boot your HTC HD2 in Windows Mobile or Android at startup.
For bug reports, feature requests or updates, head over to this XDA-Developers forum thread.