The cleanest vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich ROM for the Galaxy S I9000, Vibrant and the Captivate is here. Based on Android 4.0.3, the ROM is an effort of team ICSSGS, who began work on this ROM nearly 2 months back. The ROM is so far one of the most stable builds you can find for your Galaxy S device, and according to the developers, “We did not add any modifications unless they were absolutely required to make it work correctly.” Truly, the SGS II stands in awe right now as the predecessor maintains the lead when it comes to ICS ports and their stability.
What’s working you ask?
- Hardware Acceleration.
- RIL(Radio Interface Link = Calls / Texts / Data).
- Both SD Cards (Internal & External).
- Android Market access.
- Contacts sync.
- Calendar sync.
- Camera(Video Recording & Pictures).
- Panorama mode.
- Face Unlock.
- Wired tethering.
- FM Radio(Download Spirit FM from Android Market).
- Wireless tethering.
However, FM Radio and Face Unlock on the Captivate are broken for now. Images below, courtesy of the developers.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Galaxy S I9000 | Vibrant | Captivate.
- The latest ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- AOSP ICS for I9000 | Captivate | Vibrant. (Links to the forum threads as the ROM will be updated.)
- To begin, download the ROM and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Now reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Once the ROM is chosen, it will be flashed to the device and will take a few minutes.
- When the ROM is installed, simply reboot your device.
For updates and queries, head over to the forum threads at XDA-Developers as linked in the ROM downloads in the requirements section above.