Finally there is some great news for HTC flyer owners looking to get root privileges on this tablet. Because of the fact that HTC Flyer comes factory locked, but still you can get a temporary root that will allow you to hack away the bloatware and get rid of some unwanted crap on board. Fre3vo, the exploit responsible for rooting devices like Sensation and EVO 3D, is the main character in this rooting as well. It is important to understand that you will only gain temporary root rights after running the exploit and tinkering with /system directory can brick your flyer forever.
Here is the step by step guide to gain temporary root rights on HTC Flyer using Fre3vo:
Please note that method provided below can be considered as highly dangerous and should only be attempted if you have prior rooting through ADB experience. AddictiveTips won’t be liable for any damage caused to your device using the procedure below. Proceed with extreme caution!
1. The first step is download the latest Fre3vo version from here and save it on your computer.
2. Once done, download and install Android SDK on your PC. You can follow the guide posted here for this purpose.
3. Once done, exit HTC Sync or any 3rd party utility having anything to do with listening to USB ports.
4. Now open ADB and type the following commands:
adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start[exploit address] -end [exploit address]
5. Use the following exploit addresses for respective HTC flyer Models:
HTC Flyer WiFi 16GB: exploit at address 38126600:a00
HTC Flyer 3G 32GB: exploit ad address 38125e00:1200
Once done, you will have root rights on your HTC Flyer. Please note that this root access will be limited and revoked on boot. In case you are looking for an easier way to root your device, then we will suggest waiting for an easier method to surface. All credits for this guide and method go to Elim, agrabren and Fe3vo Team at XDA. In case you need more information or support, please head to the official XDA thread here.