View in galleryTouch based custom recoveries are all the hype these days. The Acer Iconia A500, just made the list of a handful of Android devices that had the privelege of getting a touch based recovery. This comes in from XDA-Developers forum member drellisidee who has built this from the Amon Ra recovery source. Yup, this is not your ClockworkMod recovery, but the equally popular Amon Ra. Further credits also go to kjy2010 for releasing a flashable zip file for those already running a custom recovery on their device. However, those without any recovery installed, would have to go through a handful of ADB commands and it’s not exactly the method of choice for many users.
Now when we say touch based, we’re not talking about navigating via the capacitive buttons, but in fact, a fully touch enabled UI.
We will not be covering the tedious ADB method, and advise users to use the flashable ZIP file via a custom recovery. Installing ClockworkMod recovery via Acer Recovery Installer is quite a breeze, so once you have that running, you can easily install the touch based Amon Ra recovery.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Acer Iconia. See our guide on rooting the Iconia A500.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. Use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market.
- Touch based Amon Ra recovery.
- To begin, copy recovery you downloaded from the link above, to the root of your SD card.
- Once copied, reboot your device into recovery mode. (Power off the device and hold the Power button and Volume down until text in the upper left corner appears. When it does release the Volume down button.)
- Once in the recovery, make a Nandroid backup.
- Now, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Once done, simply flash the ZIP you copied to your SD card and let it install ( Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard).
- Once the ZIP is flashed, simply reboot your device and cross your fingers!
For updates and queries, head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.