Nokia Lumia owners already have Play To, an app that lets them stream media to any DLNA-enabled device, so a few might label the new PhotoBeamer as redundant. However, you have to bear in mind that not everyone wants to go through the rather lengthy and complicated procedure of setting up DLNA on a computer just to stream a couple of photos. PhotoBeamer on the other hand requires no configuration, and can be used with any internet-enabled computer or TV to show photos from your Lumia device to a larger audience. Just point your phone at the display, select the album you want to stream, and the images will start appearing on the other screen without any noticeable delay! Sounds almost magical, doesn’t it?
PhotoBeamer can be used to project photos on another screen, but it has another useful application too. The images that are being streamed can be downloaded easily just like other pictures on the web. So, here is how the app works.
- Launch PhotoBeamer on your phone.
- Select the album you want to stream to the computer. Any album stored in the Pictures hub can be chosen for projection. It is also possible to skip the choice of albums and swipe right to select an individual photo.
- Next, select the photo that you want to start your slideshow with. You will now be presented with a scan mode in the app.
- Go to any web browser on the target device where you want to display the photos, and navigate to the following URL:
- You will notice that a big QR code is occupying most of the screen space. Simply scan it from your phone.
- The target device’s browser screen will go blank for a moment, and then the photo you set as the starting point of the slideshow will appear there.
The slideshow can be controlled by swiping through images on your phone’s screen. You can also expand the currently opened picture by hitting the ‘Adjust’ button in the bottom bar of the app. Other than that solitary button, the app keeps things simple and has no other option except for the ‘Delete History’ one. To transfer images from your phone to a computer (or another smartphone), simply start the streaming process and download the image from your web browser in the usual manner.
PhotoBeamer is a free app, and is available only for Nokia Lumia phones. Unlike most apps coming out these days, PhotoBeamer is compatible with both Mango (Windows Phone 7.5) and Windoes Phone 8 devices. The app works over the internet (both Wi-Fi and mobile data), so both devices don’t have to be on the same Wi-Fi network to make things work. Click the following link from your phone to download the app.
Download PhotoBeamer For Windows Phone