Amazon Prime revolutionized online subscriptions by including a ton of useful features for users. For starters, anyone ordering from Amazon got free shipping on everything, which could be a massive money saving investment. There’s also Amazon Prime Video, a movie and TV show streaming and rental service that’s similar to Netflix and Hulu. Just like the other big streaming services, however, Amazon Prime Video restricts content availability based on user location. Normally, you can’t change your region without physically flying to another country. So if you’re in the U.S., you’ll only see shows authorized for streaming in the U.S. This can be frustrating for regions where content is severely limited.
Fortunately, with the right VPN you can break through these geo-restriction barriers and watch the fully stocked U.S. Amazon Prime Video catalogue from anywhere in the world. Today, we’ll show you what makes a great VPN provider, offer some of our favorite recommendations, then get you started changing your region with a VPN to access geo-blocked content.
- 1 Always use a VPN with Amazon Prime
- 2 Recommended VPNs for Amazon Prime U.S.
- 3 Use a VPN to change regions and unblock Amazon Prime U.S.
- 4 Conclusion
Always use a VPN with Amazon Prime
Virtual private networks are powerful and important tools. A standard unsecured Internet connection sends out all kinds of private data, everything from the websites you visit to the videos you stream and even your physical location. It’s surprisingly easy for hackers and ISPs to collect this information, meaning your privacy simply doesn’t exist.
A VPN can easily protect you from these threats, including Fire Stick and Fire TV users. VPNs encrypt each packet of data that leaves your device, making it unreadable to outside eyes. You can surf and stream without worry, even on smartphones, tablets, and Fire TV Sticks. All you have to do is find the right VPN and you’re good to go.
Getting the best VPN
Some VPNs are faster than others, and some offer better privacy features. Which should you use for changing regions and watching Amazon Prime U.S. from anywhere? We ranked the top providers using the criteria below to come up with the best recommendations, all of which are listed in the next section.
- Fast server speeds – VPNs are notoriously slow when compared to unsecured connections, which is why you should only use providers that put a high priority on speed.
- Good app compatibility – Using a VPN with Prime Video means running an app on all of your streaming devices. If the app doesn’t exist, you’re out of luck.
- Servers in the U.S. – You can’t get an American IP address unless the VPN has servers in the U.S.
- Zero logging policy – If a VPN keeps activity logs, your privacy is at risk. Always make sure your VPN service has a zero logging policy on all traffic.
Recommended VPNs for Amazon Prime U.S.
We compared the top VPNs on the market to find out which ones performed the best with Amazon Prime Video. The results are listed below, each of which is perfect for changing regions and watching videos from the U.S. from anywhere in the world.
1 – ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs on the market, making it an ideal choice for all of your online streaming needs, including Amazon Prime Video. Using ExpressVPN, anyone can log in and enjoy unlimited bandwidth and an anonymous internet connection with just a few clicks. ExpressVPN also runs on most major device platforms (PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, Fire TV, etc). All it takes to enjoy a fast and safe connection is to download a single intuitive app, ExpressVPN will take care of the rest!
ExpressVPN offers a ton of useful features so you can safely enjoy your TV and movie streams. Data is always secured with tough military-grade 256-bit AES encryption and backed by a strict zero-logging policy on all traffic, DNS requests, and IP addresses. Information stays protected by an automatic kill switch and DNS leak prevention features, as well. All of these work together alongside ExpressVPN’s huge network of over 2,000 servers in 94 different countries to give you a fast and secure connection anywhere in the world.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 3 months free (49% off - link below)
- 3,000+ super fast servers
- No DNS/IP leaks found
- Strict no-logs policy
- Live Chat Support.
- High cost for month-to-month users.
For more information about the service, check out our ExpressVPN review, complete with speed tests and privacy audit information.
2 – NordVPN
NordVPN is a popular VPN service that runs a fast network of servers that spans the entire globe. Joining gets you unlimited access to over 5,320 servers in 62 countries, including hundreds in the U.S., all available without a single restriction. This massive amount of variety delivers great speeds no matter where you connect from, ensuring you always have a fast connection streaming, downloading, or surfing. This network also allows NordVPN to offer unique privacy features like double encryption, protection from DDoS attacks, and onion routing over VPN.
NordVPN’s software package comes with everything you need to stay safe online. This includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, an automatic kill switch, and a zero-logging policy that covers time stamps, DNS requests, IP addresses, and traffic. It’s extremely easy to set up and use on all of your devices, too, as the VPN supports PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and other platforms. When you need fast and reliable online protection to stream from Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, or YouTube TV, go with NordVPN.
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer without breaking a sweat
- 5,400+ servers globally
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections
- Strict zero logs policy on both traffic and metadata
- Great customer service via chat.
- Some servers can have average d/l speeds
- Refund processing can take up to 30 days.
Learn more about the NordVPN experience in our full NordVPN review.
3 – CyberGhost
CyberGhost delivers a fast, easy to use, and extremely secure VPN experience any one can get set up and running in a matter of seconds. It also works on nearly every device imaginable, from iPhones and iPads to Android devices, PCs and Macs. As soon as you sign up you’ll be able to access CyberGhost’s expansive network of over 3,390 servers in 60 countries, all with unlimited data and no restrictions on streaming speeds.
CyberGhost’s privacy features keep users safe with strong 256-bit AES encryption on all data, a zero-logging policy on traffic, time stamps, and IP addresses, and both DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch. These features hide your identity whenever you go online, allowing you to connect with fully encrypted data and an anonymous IP address no matter where you live. There’s no easier way to unblock streams or to enhance your privacy online!
- Unblocking Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube, Hulu
- P2P allowed on any server except in US and Russia
- No leaks detected
- Zero logs
- 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Can’t unblock some popular streaming sites.
Learn more about CyberGhost’s great privacy features in our complete CyberGhost review.
4 – PrivateVPN
PrivateVPN is a fast, safe, and strong VPN that helps you stay secure while enjoying an open internet anywhere in the world. With PrivateVPN you can surf and stream with complete anonymity. Use it on PC, iOS, Android, Mac, Fire TV, and plenty of other platforms, all thanks to the company’s lightweight and easy to use software. PrivateVPN lets you sign on and connect to the fastest server with just a single click, opening up a world of video options.
PrivateVPN operates a small but reliable network of about 100 servers in 59 different countries. Your identity and personal data is locked down with 256-bit AES encryption to keep your connection safe, and an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection along with a zero logging policy on all traffic ensure your privacy is never at risk. PrivateVPN is the perfect solution for watching Netflix or Amazon Prime Video abroad.
Read more about PrivateVPN’s stellar features in our thorough PrivateVPN review.
5 – PureVPN
PureVPN goes a few steps further than most VPNs. The service provides all the features you would expect from a popular VPN, everything from an automatic kill switch to 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a zero-logging policy. With PureVPN, though, you also get a host of other features that help keep you safe online. How does anti-virus protection, malware shields, app blocking, and DNS level website filtering sound? All of that is baked into PureVPN’s custom software, and they’re extraordinarily easy to use, too.
PureVPN does a stellar job keeping your data safe while using Amazon Prime Video on any platform. It works well on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android, along with Fire Stick and Fire TV devices, too, all thanks to the software’s lightweight design and easy installation process. You also get access to over 2,000+ servers in 140 different countries for the ultimate in streaming speeds, which includes dozens of locations in the U.S.!
Use a VPN to change regions and unblock Amazon Prime U.S.
Once you’ve found the right VPN, you can quickly and easily access Amazon Prime Video from the U.S., even if you’re located elsewhere in the world. Here’s a full guide on how to do it!
Step 1 – Install the VPN
VPN apps are made to be as easy to use as possible, which includes fast one-click installation on most devices. You can usually get the official software and install it directly from the VPN site itself. All you have to do is follow the steps below and your VPN will be ready to go.
- In a PC web browser, sign into your VPN account.
- Look for a downloads section in your account pages.
- Select the app for your device and download it. You may be redirected to a mobile marketplace to install apps for iOS or Android, which is fine.
- Install the app on your device and launch it.
- Log into your VPN software using your credentials.
- After signing in, your VPN app should automatically connect to the fastest server.
- Minimize the VPN app or simply let it run in the background. It will now keep you safe and secure while you browse the internet!
Step 2 – Connect to a U.S. server
Now that your VPN is running, you’ll need to make a quick change to switch regions and watch Amazon Prime Video from the U.S.
- Open your VPN app and look for a Server Browser.
- Choose a fast server located inside the United States. Whichever one is physically closer to your location will likely be better.
- Click and connect to the server. Give your VPN a few moments to resolve the connection.
- Minimize the VPN app and let it run in the background.
Step 3 – Verify your IP
Before you try streaming Prime Video, it’s a good idea to take a few seconds to verify that the VPN is working correctly. This is called an IP address leak test. It only requires a moment of your time, but it can be crucial for establishing that your VPN is working correctly.
- Follow the steps above and connect to a U.S. server.
- Launch a web browser on the same device you’re running your VPN
- Go to ipleak.net
- Wait for the page to load and automatically run an IP address lookup.
- Note at the box at the top of the page beneath Your IP addresses.
- Does the box show the United States, not the country you’re in? If so, your VPN is ready to go!
- If you didn’t see the country you were supposed to, you may need to check with your VPN provider to resolve an IP leak error.
Step 4 – Join Amazon Prime and enjoy!
All the hard work is done, now you’re ready to get Amazon Prime U.S. up and running so you can stream some videos.
- Make sure your VPN is active, running in the background, and connected to a U.S. server.
- Visit the Amazon Prime Video website.
- Create or sign into your Amazon account.
- If you don’t have Amazon Prime, sign up right away.
- As soon as your Prime account is ready, you can reload the Video page, choose a movie or TV show and start streaming.
- Note that if you want to watch on a mobile or streaming device, search the app store for Amazon Prime Video, which is necessary for some hardware.
Amazon Prime’s video service is one of the best ways to stream movies, especially if you’re in the U.S. where the selection of free content is much higher. Traveling abroad or located outside of the U.S.? With the right VPN, that won’t be much a problem anymore.
Got any tips or tricks for getting the most out of Amazon Prime U.S.? Share your advice in the comments section below!