View in galleryWhile the Motorola Atrix 4G hasn’t been released yet, the much-anticipated Android device has already been rooted and now you can even enable free Wi-Fi data tethering on it without having to pay anything additional to AT&T. Read on for details on how to set it up on your phone and save some bucks.
The method involves simply setting up a APN with certain settings that would circumvent AT&T’s tethering restrictions and allow you to avail the service without paying extra for it. It should be perfectly legal as you will only be utilizing the data services you are already paying for to use on your phone. We have to thank XDA-Developers forum member Fixter for sharing these settings with us.
- Go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names.
- Press ‘Menu’ and select ‘New APN’.
- Enter these APN settings:
- Name: AT&T
- APN: wap.cingular
- Proxy: <leave empty>
- Port: 80
- Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
- Password: CINGULAR1
- Server: <leave empty>
- MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
- MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
- MMS Port: 80
- MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
- MCC: 310
- MNC: 410
- Authentication Type: <leave empty>
- APN Type: <leave empty>
- Once you have setup this new APN, enjoy wireless tethering at no additional cost.
Apart from free tethering, if you are also interested in rooting your device, you can do so by following our guide on how to root Motorola Atrix 4G. The method also allows you to side-load non-market apps on your phone as well as install thousands of market and non-market apps that require root access.