Back in May, we first caught sight of MiHome, the ICS-exclusive standalone homescreen replacement app based on the latest build of MIUI (v4.0). The launcher has been specifically designed for any Android device rocking Ice Cream Sandwich, meaning no luck for Froyo and Gingerbread users. While Froyo users might have to wait a tad longer to get their hands on the launcher, those with Android v2.3.3 or higher on their devices can rejoice, for a Gingerbread-exclusive version of MiHome has just been officially released in the Google Play Store. In fact, if you’re an ICS user, there’s a separate version of said launcher available in the market, too. If you didn’t get a chance to check out MiHome so far, you might be interested to know that the app has plenty of visual goodness and customization on offer. Both the recently released official variants of the launcher sport more or less the same set of features.
Unlike the MIUI 4.0 custom ROM that requires users to root their Android devices, this standalone launcher has been designed to work fine even on non-rooted devices. While you can go through the app’s complete list of features in our previous review, we’d still love to leave you with the salient features that you’ll be getting with MiHome. Here’s what to expect:
- Horizontally scrollable homescreens, complete with your favorite apps and widgets (including the flip-style digital clock widget)
- Expandable system toggles widget housing control for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, sound profiles, airplane mode, rotation, vibration, torch, backlight, data and GPS etc.
- Convenient homescreen management, with option to set as many as 10 different screens.
- Multiple homescreen transition effects (Class, Classic, Crossfade, Falldown, Page, Cascading, Rotation & 3D cube).
- A 4-way custom lockscreen, with option to download and install plenty of additional lockscreen themes and wallpapers via MiLocker.
So if you’re curious about exploring what visuals the MIUI team has on offer with the latest build of their custom ROM, but do not fancy going through the entire flashing process, MiHome is your best bet for now.