If you own a Nook Color, you can now install Android 2.2 Froyo on your tablet’s external SD card while keeping your original operating system intact on the internal SD card, and dual-boot into the Android version of your choice using ‘Nookie Froyo’ dual boot ROM.
The best part about this method is that it keeps the installation of the original Nook Color OS (which in itself is a heavily customized and locked-down version of Android) intact so that you don’t void your warranty and can always access the original OS simply by booting into it, or access Froyo by booting into the custom ROM that we are going to install.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Dual Boot Preparation Flash File
- Dual Boot Nookie Froyo ROM v.0.6.8
- Roooted Nook Color with Clockwork Recovery installed. (See our guide on Nook Color Monster RootPack for easy rooting and installation of ClockworkMod Recovery.)
- Download the ‘Dual Boot Preparation Flash File’.
- Mount your Nook Color’s SD card and copy the zip file on it.
- Unmount cleanly.
- Power off your device.
- Hold Volume Up button and power up again to enter Clockwork Recovery.
- Use the Volume Up and Volume Down button to scroll and Home ‘n’ key to select.
- Flash the Dual Boot Preparation Flash File.
- This would resize your /media partition, without disturbing any data on it, however to be on the safe side it is recommended to save your data elsewhere.
- If your data on the /media partition is larger than 3.9GB, you cannot flash this, therefore it is recommended to backup your data and reduce size to lower than 3.9GB
- Repeat the steps to Flash the Nookie Froyo ROM to the SD card.
- Use Power button to go back to the main menu of the Clockwork Recovery and reboot the device.
- Hold ‘n’ button while powering up your phone to boot into dual boot ROM.
Congratulations! You have Froyo and Nook Color Dual boot installed on your device. For further updates and upcoming releases, please visit the XDA-Developers forum thread.