The HTC One X gets CyanogenMod 9 ROM! One of the best Android phones out there right now, the device just got one of the best ROMs a Android phone could ask for. The Quad Core powered One X, is ready to take on the AOSP world of ICS ROMs thanks to the efforts of the TripNDroid Mobile Engineering Team over at Modaco. As in the case of almost every other CM9 ROM available for various Android handsets out there, this release for the One X is an experimental build as well. However, the ROM is pretty much good to go as a daily driver given the stuff that is already working fine. For further details about what’s working and what is not, and for instructions on how to install this ROM on your One X, read on after the break!
Yes, the ROM has no Sense built into it, it is a completely open source project. What is working you ask?
- Mobile network (data, calls, sms etc.)
- Bluetooth tethering
- Hardware video decoder
- Hardware acceleration (2D/3D)
- MIC (recording)
That said, Wi-Fi hotspot and Mobile Data will give you issues. According to the developers, “Mobile data will take a lot of time to correctly connect, there’s not much you can do about it just wait until it correctly connects. I’m investigating this issue currently. When it is connected is stable, it will not disconnect this happens only after a reboot or after initial setup.”
Images courtesy of the developers
A soft menu key has need implemented in the system which will be available once an application that uses it, is launched. The ROM is as close to stock CM9 as possible but the developers have compiled a file manager as well for the users convenience.
Disclaimer: Please attempt this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be responsible in case your device gets bricked or damaged in any other way due to this method.
- A rooted HTC One X. For instructions on rooting your One X, click here.
- ADB installed. Learn more about ADB and how you to install it on your system, here.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. Go here for instructions on flashing ClockworkMod recovery to the One X.
- CM9 for HTC One X.
- Google Apps.
- To begin, download the ROM from the link above an extract the contents.
- Find boot.img from the extracted contents and copy the file to the folder where fastboot.exe is in the Android SDK.
- Copy the ROM (in the zip format) and Google Apps package to the root of your SD card.
- Boot the device into fastboot mode ( I trust you know how to do that considering you rooted your device) and connect it to the computer.
- Open command prompt or a terminal and navigate to the location of fastboot.exeand enter the following command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Once flashed, boot into recovery and navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM.
- Do the same for Google Apps
- Once the ROM and Google Apps have been flashed, simply reboot your device.
That’s it! CM9 should now boot up on your One X in no time! For updates and queries, head over to the forum thread at MoDaCo.