Now that the Desire S has been rooted, custom ROMs have begun springing up on the scene. MIUI is one of those, thanks to the Fengbao Android ROM Team. If you’re familiar with MIUI ROMs, chances are you would not want to move to any other ROM as your daily driver. However this one in particular for the Desire S is not entirely fully functional.
For those unfamiliar with the likes of MIUI ROM, should see our guide on what is MIUI ROM for Android. Talking about this ROM in particular, here’s what’s functioning and what’s not functioning in the ROM right now:
- Bluetooth, front camera are broken.
- HD video recording is not possible.
- Volume+ and Volume- does not work.
- Wi-Fi, GPS, keyboard and backlight are functional.
You can see a screenshot of what the ROM looks like at the moment before we move onto the installation. (Picture, courtesy of the developers.)
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- An HTC Desire S with S-Off. See our guide on gaining S-Off on the HTC Desire S.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- MIUI for Desire S
- To begin, download the ROM from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to Install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to the SD card.
- Let the ROM install, and once it does, simply reboot the device.
Voila! All done, your device should now boot into the new MIUI ROM and chances are that you’d revert back to your original ROM in no time considering the bugs at hand right now. For updates and queries related to this ROM, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.