Although the Advent Vega boasts a very durable battery life, if you want to squeeze even more out of it, you can do so simply by disabling the phone service component of Android OS as this tablet does not have a phone radio. This should improve the battery life significantly as the phone service runs all the time, even when the device is in standby mode.
We are going to disable the phone service by modifying the OS and renaming the files governing this process so Android does not load them at start up. Here is how to go ahead with it.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Android SDK installed. See what is ADB and how to install it with Android SDK.
- USB cable for connecting your tablet to the computer.
- Connect your device to the computer.
- Start up ADB and run the following commands in succession:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.apk /system/app/Phone.OLD adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD adb reboot
- This will remove your process files and save them as renamed files with the ‘OLD’ extension and reboot your device.
- Once the device is booted you will notice that there is a ‘No Signal’ icon on the status bar, which is OK because we just removed the core process of telephony.
- In case you want to undo the operation, follow the same procedure but enter the below mentioned commands instead:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.OLD /system/app/Phone.apk adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk adb reboot
Enjoy your new boosted battery life and let us know what you think!