Good news for iOS jailbreakers eagerly anticipating @pod2g’s untether to be released. The infamous iPhone Dev Team has just updated their redsn0w and Pwnage tools to jailbreak iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad 1 untethered on iOS 5.0.1, and is available for download. The updated redsn0w 0.9.10b1 for both Windows and Mac OS X can perform untethered jailbreak on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, iPod Touch 4G and iPod Touch 3G (all A4 devices) running iOS 5.0.1 (iOS 5.0 not supported). Details after the break.
@pod2g handed over his untether exploit to both the Dev Team and Chronic Dev Team for final release, and just now, both teams have incorporated the same exploit in the said tools. The Chronic Dev Team has released an untether package over at Cydia for previously-jailbroken devices.
The list of supported devices includes:
- iPhone 4 (GSM & CDMA)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad 1
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPod Touch 4G
If you have any of these A4 devices, you can get untethered jalbreak on iOS 5.0.1 through redsn0w or Pwnage tool, both on Windows and Mac OS X.
You must already be running iOS 5.0.1 on your iDevice, as iOS 5.0 is not supported. If you are still on 5.0, update immediately, as the iPSW signing window for 5.0.1 is still open and might cause a problem for you afterwards
Caution: Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM unlockers, don’t upgrade through iTunes. You need a custom firmware that will preserve your baseband. You can use redsn0w and Pwnage tool both to create such a custom IPSW.
It is advised to back up all your data with iTunes or iCloud before you proceed.
Instructions (redsn0w only):
- Download redsn0w 0.9.10b1 for your operating system here (Windows, Mac OS X)
- Plug in your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad running iOS 5.0.1 to your computer.through USB cable. Make sure iTunes is not running before proceeding, and launch redsn0w.
- Click on the jailbreak button. You will get a warning for making sure that your iDevice is both off and plugged in before it can be put into DFU mode for upgrade.
- Follow the onscreen instructions for putting your device in DFU mode. As soon as it is detected, redsn0w will automatically identify your device and running iOS version.
- Once the device is identified, redsn0w will start preparing the jailbreak data and performing the relevant operations. Sit tight.
- When redsn0w is done working, you will get a dialog for selecting jailbreak options. Just check Install Cydia and proceed.
- The patched ramdisk will be uploaded to your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, and redsn0w interface will get you a final page for donating to @pod2g, the developer of the untether.
The rest of the jailbreak process takes place on your device’s screen, which you can see as it happens.
Please note that your device’s screen may go black once the process is complete. Simply power it back on, and there you go – iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak right in your hands!
Stay tuned for a detailed guide on getting untethered jailbreak on iPhone iOS 5.0.1 while preserving baseband, so to suit Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM unlockers. For the rest of the world, enjoy the untethered freedom!