The Samsung Continuum has just breathed some fresh air after it was almost suffocated to eternal sleep owing to the utter lack of development support. Being in the line up of the Galaxy S devices, the Continuum had been badly neglected where most Galaxy S devices managed to receive an official Froyo firmware, the Continuum has been stuck on Éclair. Not anymore! XDA-Developers forum member imnuts has released the first Froyo firmware for the device and brought it back from a potential grave. Even better, pastorbennett of XDA-Developers has taken that build, tweaked it a bit, and released a single ODIN flashable file for the users convenience.
The ROM is based on the stock EC03 Froyo firmware and sports the following modifications:
- TouchWiz Launcher replaced with Go Launcher.
- Stock browser replaced with Dolphin HD.
- Bing, MS Streets, VZW apps all removed.
- Google Search is the default search engine, and Google Maps is included.
When the phone starts up, you may get a nag from Go Launcher but not to worry about that, wit will go away. Below you can see what the ROM looks like courtesy of the developer.
As for getting this ROM up and running on your device, here’s how you can do that.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- ODIN installed on your system.
- Samsung USB drivers. Download for 32bit Windows | 64bit Windows.
- EC03 modded ROM.
- ClockworkMod recovery (update.zip).
- To begin, run ODIN and click on PDA, choosing the ROM (.tar) when prompted to.
- Put your phone in download mode. (Remove battery, and hold the Volume down key while connecting the USB cable.)
- Once you see the phone connected in ODIN, hit the Start button to begin the flashing procedure.
- Once the ROM is flashed, the phone will reboot into the new ROM. Let it reboot completely.
- Once it has rebooted copy the ClockworkMod recovery package to the root of your SD card and reboot into recovery. (Power off the device, and then hold both Volume keys and the Power button till you see the Samsung Logo.)
- In recovery, select apply update.zip to flash the ClockworkMod recovery to the device.
- Power the phone off and reboot In ClockworkMod recovery and select wipe data/factory reset.
- That done, simply reboot your device.
That’s it! hopefully you will reboot into the new Froyo ROM. for updates and queries related to this ROM, head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.