View in galleryDarktremor Apps2SD is a popular Android hack that allows you to move the installed apps to the SD card and avoid getting low storage space alerts. Recently, a newer version has been released that brings performance improvements over the previous one. This version is in beta at the moment but if you want to try it out, read on for details.
Darktremor Apps2SD is amongst the most popular Android hacks included in custom ROMs and also works on stock FroYo ROMs but will not work on any earlier stock ROM. It works by making a separate partition on your SD card to be used specifically by applications, thus expanding your phone’s application installation storage space and freeing up the internal phone memory for those applications which you absolutely must run from the internal memory.
The main highlight of this version is that the entire dalvik-cache transfer process has been rebuilt to make it smoother and more reliable. Secondly, file system error checking has been enabled again, which tests the sd-ext partition for file system issues when mounting it on boot to eliminate issues later.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
To install Darktremor Apps2SD on your phone, just follow these steps. Note that we are using ClockworkMod recovery for the guide. If you use another recovery, it might not have these options under the exact same names or at the exact same locations. Just choose the appropriate options from you recovery and it should work.
- If you are coming from a previous version of Apps2SD and just want to upgrade, skip to step 12.
- In case you don’t have a custom recovery installed, visit our guide on how to install ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Reboot your phone into recovery and perform a nandroid backup.
- Reboot your phone into Android and backup ALL the data on your SD card to your computer by simply copying and pasting it while connected in USB Storage mode. This will also save the nandroid backup that you just took. This step is important because the next steps will erase all content from your SD card.
- Reboot your phone into recovery once all the SD card data is safely backed up to your computer.
- Go to the Advanced menu, followed by ‘Partition SD Card’.
- Choose a suitable size for the partition where you want the apps. We personally find a 1 GB partition more than adequate for our use.
- Optionally, choose a size for a swap partition. If your card is large enough, this step can bring some performance gain. If you don’t want a swap partition, choose 0MB.
- Wait patiently while your phone’s SD card is partitioned and once done, go back to the main recovery menu.
- From the main recovery menu, go to ‘mounts and storage’ and mount USB storage.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB and transfer all the data back to your SD card that you had backed up earlier.
- Download the latest version of Darktremor Apps2SD from the link given below and copy it to the root of your SD card as well.
- Unmount USB storage once all this data has been copied to your SD card and go back to the main recovery menu.
- Choose to install zip from SD card and select the Darktremor Apps2SD file downloaded in step 12.
- Confirm any prompt that you get and wait while Apps2SD is installed.
- Reboot your phone from recovery.
Now you have Apps2SD installed but that’s not it! This version supports converting your EXT2 partition to EXT3 to increase performance. To do that, launch a terminal application on your phone or use adb and enter this command:
In case of ADB: adb shell a2sd convert-ext3 In case of a terminal app: a2sd convert-ext3
After the conversion is complete, reboot your phone for the changes to take effect. You can also convert the partition to ext4 by replacing ‘3’ with ‘4 in the same command but do that only if you are absolutely sure that the ROM you are using supports it.
For more information, bug reports or help with issues, head over to the XDA-Developers forum thread and contact the developer there.