In case you have HTC Salsa with S-OFF and you want to root and flash ClockworkMod Recovery, then there is some interesting news for you. BigBearEVO, Senior XDA Member, has compiled a complete walkthrough on getting root and ClockworkMod Recovery easily on HTC Salsa. For those who don’t know, HTC Salsa is a mid-tier Android phone with a dedicated Facebook button. The phone wasn’t able to gather much user attention due to its mediocre specs and mostly it was shipped S-ON. In order to root and flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone, you need to have S-OFF i.e. unlocked bootloader on your phone. In order to check-out if you have S-ON or S-OFF, pull the battery out, then insert it back in followed by booting the phone while pressing volume down button along power key. Your phone will now boot up in pre-Fastboot screen that will have S-On or S-OFF credentials stated on the first line.
If you have a S-On device, then the only way to get S-OFF is VIA XTC Clip. XTC Clip is a solution that View in gallerycosts money and is available here. Once you have S-OFF on your HTC Salsa, then head to the instructions below to gain root privileges and to install unofficial custom ClockworkMod Recovery.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- The first step is to download PH11IMG.Zip, unofficial custom ClockworkMod Recovery image, and save it on your desktop.
- Once done, download Root.zip file.
- After this connect your phone to the computer, mount SD Card and copy root.zip along with PH11IMG.zip files to your SD Card root.
- Now disconnect your phone from the computer.
- After this power-off your device.
- Now reboot your phone while holding volume low button along with power button to boot into Hboot.
- Once you boot into HBoot, select appropriate update option and then push volume up button to start flashing/installing ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Follow on-screen instructions and reboot your device once the recovery flashing is over.
- Once you have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your phone, power off your device.
- Now power it on in H|Boot and use volume key to select Recovery option.
- Once you are in the recovery mode, use volume key to go to “install Zip from SD Card card”.
- Now select “Install Zip From SD Card” and select root.zip from the resulting menu.
- Now flash root.zip file.
- After the flashing / installation process is complete, reboot your device.
- After your phone boots, download Root Checker app from Market and verify if you have root privileges on your phone.
There you go! You now have root along with ClockworkMod Recovery on your S-OFF’d HTC Salsa. In case you are facing any issues or you need some more information regarding this guide, then please head to the official XDA thread posted here.