While the HTC Evo 4G comes with a WiFi chip that supported Wireless N protocol, these were disabled in Android 2.1 Éclair by default – an issue fixed with Froyo but if you are still running Eclair on your phone, it is now possible to enable WiFi N support for . The idea is to pull Wi-Fi driver from the device and push them back in after modification. If you want to enjoy more throughput on your device, read on for our tutorial on how to enable it.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A Rooted Evo 4G running Éclair (See how to root HTC EVO 4G running Android 2.1]
- Any Hex Editor of your choice (Freeware Hex Editor XVI32 is a good option.)
- Android SDK installed and running. (See what is ADB and how to install it with Android SDK)
- Connect your device to the PC via USB.
- Launch a Command Prompt window and enter the following commands to pull the drivers out of the device and make a backup incase just incase:
adb pull /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko ./bcm4329.ko.old adb pull /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko ./bcm4329.ko
- Open up your Hex Editor.
- Look for ‘nmode’ at two spots.
- Replace this with any 5 charactered string phrase e.g. ‘—–‘ without the quotes. (The search and replace function can be used.)
- Save the file.
- Now enter these commands in the Command Prompt window:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
Wireless N protocol should be enabled on your device now, assuming obviously that you have a router or access point that supports WiFi N as well. In case you need to go back to your default drivers, just use the following commands:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system adb push bcm4329.ko.old /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
Enjoy the new, increased throughput increase on your device with your Wireless N router. Do note that if the Wireless network that you are using is Wi-Fi a/b/g and not n, you will not notice any difference at all.