Cognition S2 is a recently released custom ROM based on the Gingerbread firmware with an OC kernel for the Galaxy S II. The ROM has been developed by XDA-Developers forum member designgears and is flashable via recovery. More on the ROM and how to install it, after the break.
Update: The ROM has either been discontinued or is in development, we cannot confirm as the download link to the ROM has been deleted. If you are here looking for ways to overclock your SGS II, you can see our guide on overclocking the Galaxy S II to 1.5Ghz.
The ROM has OTA support via ROM Manager and sports the following features:
overclockable to 1.5ghz (defaults to 1.2ghz on boot, oc with setcpu).Clockworkmod recovery 18.104.22.168.
- Based on XWKE7 (will only base on proper Kies Release).
- Rooted / deodexed.
- sip wifi/3g.
- Accurate battery mod.
- Extended power options (no header).
- Disable battery full notification/vibration.
- Ad blocking via hosts file.
- TUN support.
- Remap hardware keys (no wake on home).
- HTC headset support.
- No ascending ringtone.]
- CRT animation (disables smooth brightness changes).
- AOSP wifi/signal icons.
- Stay awake dev option.
- Default install location option.
- TW launcher defaults to page 4.
- Custom launcher layout and wallpaper.
- Enabled hidden wallpapers.
- Removed bootup sounds.
- Removed lots of bloatware (let me know about missing features).
- Updated system apps.
- Hacked camera (by Potatoman, silent edition).
- Fixed deodexed browser (by LitePro).
Removed, install-able via Cog Apps Installer
- Google Maps.
- Street View on Google Maps.
CIFS Support, overscroll glow, voodoo color will be featured in future updates.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted Galaxy S II. See our guide on how to root the Galaxy S II.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. (Install via ROM Manager.)
Cognition S2 ROM(No longer available or under development)
- To begin, download the ROM from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Once done, reboot into recovery by pressing the Volume down, Home and Power buttons together, letting go of the power button when the boot screen appears.
- Make a nandroid backup by navigating to backup/restore > backup.
- Navigate to wipe factory/data reset and select it.
- Do the same for wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Select install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Once the ROM is flashed, simply reboot the device.
For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.