Windows Phone 7 is a platform that comes with a strict regard for its security and privacy of the operating system. This makes accessing its file system extremely complicated, if not altogether impossible. You have to rely on the official syncing software “Zune” to get anything in or out of your WP7 device but that means that your phone can not act like a data carrier and you can not get any non-supported file on your device. That is quite a big set back for users in a variety of ways. Many people use a moderate number of apps on their WP7 device, and keep their photos and music synced with Zune. So, a lot of the space in your Windows Phone might be going to waste, as you can’t use it as a USB drive. Won’t it be a huge boost if it was somehow possible that you plug-in your WP7 mobile into your PC and it showed up just like a mass storage device? As a matter of fact, it is possible!
The method involves tweaking with the registries, so be careful.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Windows 7 running on your PC.
- Zune installed.
- View in galleryFrom your PC go to the start menu and in the search area type regedit. This will open the registry editor.
- In the bar located on the left of the editor navigate to the given path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> SYSTEM –> CurrentControlSet –> Enum –> USB
- This will give you a long list in your side bar. Select the USB folder you have just reached but don’t do anything else yet.
- Hit Ctrl+F, which will open the Find dialog box. Input ZuneDriver and enter. This will automatically bring you to the WUDF folder.
- Select the folder just above WUDF, named Device Parameters, opening a number of entries in the main screen on the right.
- Among the many entries look for “ShowInShell”, double click and change the value from 0 to 1.
- The registry value marked as “PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell” goes to 1 from the default 0.
- Set “EnableLegacySupport” to 1.
- Exit registry editor.
From now on you will get the dual options of accessing your device via Zune or using it as a flash drive. If you want the 2nd option, simply ignore Zune on connecting your device and go to My Computer where your phone will be visible!