View in galleryYou may or may not remember the HTC Universal with it’s micro laptop looks and being the first 3G device worldwide back in 2005. So 6 years later, the device is all hip again. Yes, XDA-Developers forum members notime2d8 and orzech2111 have just released a port of the Android 2.2 Froyo for the HTC Universal! A project that has been in the works for almost a year now! More on this and how to install it on your HTC Universal, after the break.
So far the following features are functioning:
- Kernel v2.6.36.
- SD card slot.
- Asic3 Buttons.
- Automatic screen rotation.
- USB host.
- Adb and USB mass storage.
- M24C08 Eeprom.
- Keyboard and button backlights.
- Led’s – Red, Green, Blue, and vibrate.
- AC Charging.
- Interactive + smartass cpu governor.
- Classic rcu.
- Root support.
- Support for EXT4 filesystems.
- Audio – no input from mics, routing related.
- Data – 3G or GPRS.
- Camera’s – Added driver for both cams.
- Power Management.
The 64MB RAM on the Universal is making things a little tough, but not impossible at the moment. If you wish to try this out on your HTC Universal, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers and follow the instructions over there. Generally we post the instructions ourselves but due to the fragility and ambiguity involved in the procedure posted, we cannot take the risk.