Discord servers offer lots of different ways to manage communication over channels. There are fine-grain controls that can prevent the use of certain words, prevent message bombing, and block/ban users, among other things.
If you have a lot of users on a server, managing permissions for all of them can be a challenge. Adding additional/other admins to the server will help make it easier.
If you’re trying to send a message over a channel, you may run into certain blockades that prevent you from sending a message. This may be a bug, or it may be admin controls that are activated to control the conversation over the channel.
Sending messages to this channel temporarily disabled
Discord users have, on occasion, seen the Sending messages to this channel temporarily disabled message. This isn’t a message that appears when admin controls are locking a channel. It’s usually a problem with Discord’s own servers, or your own network settings (image via Reddit user u/ExplosiveNight.
1. Check Discord server status
Check if Discord is down, or experiencing server issues.
- Visit this link in your browser.
- Check if any of Discord’s services are down.
- If a service is down, you will have to wait for Discord to fix the problem.
2. Connect to a different network
Your network may be the reason you’re seeing the Sending messages to this channel temporarily disabled error.
- You can try using the Discord app on your phone and send a message.
- Connect to a different network on your system and send a message.
- If you’re able to send a message from your phone or when you’re on another network, the network you were connected to before is likely the problem.
3. Disconnect VPNs
The first step to troubleshooting the Sending messages to this channel temporarily disabled error when you suspect your network may be the problem is to turn off any VPN services that you’re using.
- Sign out of Discord.
- Turn off the VPN service that you’re using.
- Sign in to Discord.
- Try sending a message.
If your VPN has been causing the problem, it may be because the service is being blocked by Discord, or it is experiencing an outage.
4. Change DNS settings
If there is a problem wit the DNS server that you’re using, Discord may not work correctly.
- Open File Explorer.
- Paste this in the location bar:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
- Click your network.
- Click Properties.
- Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Select ‘Use the following DNS server address’.
- Enter this in Preferred DNS server:
- Enter this in Alternate DNS server:
- Click OK, and close all windows.
- Try to send a message over Discord.
The Sending messages to this channel temporarily disabled error may not be one users can resolve on their own if the problem is on Discord’s side. That said, Discord won’t sit around while its servers aren’t working. It will resolve the problem as soon as it’s aware and that normally means a total downtime of a few hours at the most. If your network is the problem, and changing the DNS doesn’t help, ask your system admin if Discord is blocked.