Windows 10 comes with an app called Your Phone. This app can sync messages, notifications, and more from your phone to your PC.
Your Phone works better with an Android phone than it does with an iPhone. With an iPhone it runs into all sorts of limitations. One rather glaring limitation is that you cannot send/recieve iMessages on your PC via the Your Phone app if you own an iPhone.
Sending and receiving iMessages on a PC isn’t impossible. In fact, there’s a Dell app that can do the job.
Send and receive iMessages on Windows 10
To send and receive iMessage on Windows 10, you need;
- The Dell Mobile Connect app on Windows 10.
- The Dell Mobile Connect app on your iPhone.
- iMessages set up on your iPhone and enabled via a phone number.
1. Get Dell Mobile Connect app on Windows 10
The Dell Mobile Connect app for Windows 10 is available in the Microsoft Store however, you can only install it on select devices. To install it on unsupported devices, follow these steps.
- Visit the Dell Mobile Connect app page in your browser.
- At the top right, click Sign In.
- Sign in with the account you use on your Windows 10 PC and in the Microsoft Store.
- Once signed, click the more options button next to the Get button.
- Selec Add to Cart from the menu.
- Click Checkout.
- Complete the purchase in the browser and do not open the Microsoft Store until you see the ‘Thank you for your order’ page.
- Open the Microsoft Store app on your Windows 10 PC.
- Click your profile picture.
- Select My Library.
- Look for Dell Mobile Connect in the list of your apps.
- Click Install.
- Dell Mobile Connect will be installed.
2. Set up Dell Mobile Connect
Now that you’ve installed Dell Mobile Connect, the hard part is over. Follow these steps to connect your iPhone and your Windows 10 PC.
- On your iPhone, install the Dell Mobile Connect app.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your Windows 10 system.
- Open the Intell Dell Mobile Connect app on your iPhone and Windows 10 system.
- Enter the code the app shows on your phone, in the app on your Windows 10 system.
- Follow the on-screen instructions on the desktop and set your phone up to work with it.
- Grant the Dell Mobile Connect app the permissions it needs on your iPhone as you go along.
- Once set up is complete, you will see a prompt asking you to install Dell Connect drivers.
- Click it to download drivers.
- Install the drivers.
- Restart Dell Mobile Connect on your Windows 10 system and wait for your phone to connect.
- On your iPhone, open the Settings app.
- Tap Bluetooth.
- Tap the ‘i’ next to your desktop’s name.
- Enable the Notifications and Contacts switch.
3. Send/recieve iMessages
The Dell Mobile Connect app can send and receive SMS and iMessages from your phone.
- Open Dell Mobile Connect on your desktop.
- Go to the messages tab.
- Click the plus button to start a new message thread.
- Pick a contact.
- Compose and send a message.
- If the contact has iMessage set up, the message will be sent as an iMessage.
Note: You can also receive phone calls via Dell Mobile Connect and view notifications on your phone.
There are some limitations to Dell Mobile Connect.
- It can only send/receive messages (SMS or iMessage) over a phone number i.e., contacts that use iMessage via an email address cannot be messaged.
- The app does not load messaging history.
- Notification history is a bit slow to load.
App connection problems
If the app does not connect to your phone, or you have trouble pairing the iPhone with your Windows 10 system, try these troubleshooting steps and make sure you’ve granted the app all the permissions it needs.