2011 is coming to an end, and it was a year that saw Apple maintain its dominance over the smartphone market. In October, iOS was bumped to iOS 5, which brought many long-awaited features to Apple’s mobile platform. In addition to that, iPhone 4S was launched, which has been termed as the most successful iPhone yet, with Siri being the apple of many people’s eyes. On the jailbreak front, Cydia lovers had to spend the last quarter of the year on a tethered jailbreak for iOS 5, but with the holiday season came an untethered jailbreak. iOS 5 brought a fully functional Notification Center, and many completely different features to the iOS mix, and that made way for a whole new genre of Cydia tweaks. Here is a list of some of the best Cydia tweaks for iOS 5.
Almost all of the following tweaks are free. The few that aren’t have their price mentioned within their descriptions.
1. Spire (First legal Siri port for pre-A5 devices)
2. OpenBackup (Create a backup of your Cydia tweaks and their chosen preferences)
3. Fbspot (Control your Facebook account from the Spotlight search area via custom commands)
4. Autocorrection Bar (Get Android-like autocorrect bar above iOS keyboard)
5. SwitcherLoader (Add or remove options from the App Switcher tray)
6. App Stat (Track your app usage by seeing the number of times each app has been opened)
7. xCon (Run apps which don’t normally allow jailbroken devices to use them)
8. Zephyr (N9 & Blackberry Playbook style multitasking bezel gestures – $2.99)
9. CleverPin (Disables passcode lock when on a particular Wi-Fi network – $1.99)
10. SwitcherCleaner (Kills all apps automatically except the recent ones)
11. LockScreen Multitasking (Access App Switcher from the lock screen)
12. Firebreak (Enables panorama view in stock iOS camera)
13. SMSConfirmation (Get confirmation notification every time an SMS is delivered successfully)
14. WeeSpaces (Multitasking for iOS 5 Notification Center)
15. AnyLockApp (Replace the camera icon on lock screen with the shortcut to any app)
16. WeeFlashlight (A flashlight usable from the notification center)
17. SwitcherPages (Add page dots to the app switcher tray)
18. FolderIcons (Customize the appearance of folders and icons)
19. Swype (Get a Swype keyboard for your iOS device)
20. Notification Center widgets (a collection the best Big Boss Notification Center tweaks)
So that concludes our list of the tweaks that really made 2011 a successful year for the jailbreak community, and reminded everyone why Cydia remains important in the iOS environment. With the untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 out now, users of jailbreak are sure to increase in numbers exponentially. Apple has been taking leads from the jailbreak community for a while (and even developers), and we hope to see the trend continue in years to come. Have a nice and successful 2012!
If you liked this list, you might also want to take a look at our ever-increasing collection of the latest Cydia tweaks, add-ons and app reviews.