Windows 10, as a platform, is popular for gaming. In fact, because of the hardware found on Macs and the limited support, most games have for Linux, Windows 10 becomes the default OS to use if you game often and aren’t interested in using a console.
There have been many attempts to make gaming better on Windows 10. The OS has its own gaming optimization feature, but GPU manufacturers also attempt to improve gaming through software.
Nvidia GeForce Experience
Nvidia has a tool called GeForce Experience. This tool looks to optimize game settings so that they run better on Windows 10. In order to do that, the tool looks for games that are installed and then automatically optimizes them when they’re played.
Nvidia GeForce Experience is a free tool that you can download and install if you have an Nvidia GPU. Once installed, it will scan for compatible games and add them to its list of games to optimize. If it can’t find a game, you can manually add it.
Add games to GeForce Experience
You can force Nvidia GeForce to scan your system, or add the game by telling the app where to look for it.
- Open the Nvidia GeForce Experience tool.
- On the app’s Home screen, click the more options (three dots) button at the top right.
- Select the Optimize all games option.
- Next, click the same button again, and select Scan for games.
- Allow the scan to finish. The Home screen will show you new games it has found. Games with a green checkmark badge are supported by GeForce Experience.
Manually add games
To manually add a game to GeForce Experience, you need to tell the app where to look for the game.
- Open GeForce Experience.
- Click the more options (three dots) button at the top right.
- From the menu, select Optimize all games.
- Click the cogwheel button at the top.
- Select the Games tab from the column on the left.
- Under the Scan Location box, click Add.
- Select the folder that a game is installed in.
- Click ‘Scan Now’.
- Allow the scan to finish and go to the Home tab. Your game will show up there.
GeForce Experience may or may not improve your gaming experience. Some users find it helps them get a smoother gaming experience even if it doesn’t help them get a high FPS. It may not work as well for unsupported games, but that is to be expected. If you think the app is making a game run poorly, you can exclude it from optimization.