In certain countries like Japan and Korea, you and the manufacturers making your phone are required by law to keep your camera’s shutter sound enabled at all times. This is in place to protect perverts from snapping what are called ‘creepshots’ – creepy, privacy-invading photos that are taken without permission of the photo’s main subject. But not all people disable shutter sound to take creepshots. They may be required in situations where you don’t want to disturb your photograph’s subject; this could be your pet or, perhaps your sleeping baby. If you have a device running AOSP-based Android 4.0 or later and have a custom recovery installed, doing this is a piece of cake. Let’s find out how.
XDA-Developers forum member rmkilc has come with a very useful hack for disabling the shutter sound for both taking photos and recording videos. The hack simply adds .bak to the end of the files storing shutter sound; thus Android can’t find the sound files and doesn’t get to play them. To apply the hack, you simply need to flash it on your device via a custom recovery. So let’s get right to it.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Download Enable-SilentCamera ZIP file.
- An Android device running any AOSP-based Android 4.0 or later ROM. This hack will likely not work on devices running manufacturer-customized ROMs like Samsung TouchWiz or HTC Sense etc.
- A custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP installed.
- Connect your Android device to your computer and transfer the Enable-SilentCamera ZIP file to the /sdcard directory on your device.
- Power off your device and boot it into recovery.
- Navigate to ‘install zip from sdcard’ > ‘choose zip from sdcard’ if you are on ClockworkMod, or the appropriate recovery action for flashing a zip file if you are on another recovery.
- Select the file you transferred to your device in Step 1.
- Choose ‘reboot system now’ to reboot your device.
If you followed our steps and the hack is compatible with your ROM, your camera’s shutter sounds will now be disabled for photos as well as video recording. If you wish to re-enable the sounds, fret not. The files were merely renamed and not removed, and performing the same steps above to flash this Disable-SilentCamera zip file should get things back to the way they were. For queries, please visit the official thread from the link below.