Did you buy yourself a Galaxy S III Mini thinking it would have nearly the same internal hardware as the popular Galaxy S III, only with a smaller, more easy-to-use form factor? Well, if you made that mistake, there’s not much you can do regarding changing the hardware but fret not! The Galaxy S III Mini is still a very capable smartphone, and you can take it to the max by rooting it. As ever, we’ve got the complete rooting guide right here for you, so read on after the jump to get started.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process. Also, note that rooting your device WILL void your warranty.
- A Windows PC since ODIN – the tool we will be using to root the device – doesn’t work on any other desktop platform.
- At least 50% battery charged.
- ODIN 3.04 | Mirror
- ODIN-flashable rooted stock ROM
- Samsung USB drivers.
- Utility software for extracting contents of compressed (ZIP) files. We recommend free and open-source 7-zip.
If all goes well, your personal data will not be wiped as a result of flashing this ROM. Still, we recommend taking a backup in case something goes wrong.
- Unzip the contents of the ODIN 3.07 and rooted ROM ZIP files.
- Launch ODIN 3.07 using the EXE file found inside the extracted folder.
- Turn off your Galaxy S III Mini.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons until your device displays a yellow triangle. Go into download / ODIN mode by pressing Volume Up when you are given the option.
- Once in download mode, connect your S III Mini to your PC via USB. ODIN should indicate under the “Message” box that it has successfully detected your device.
- Click on ‘PDA’ and choose the TAR file found in the extracted contents of the rooted ROM ZIP file.
- Leave all options as they are and click ‘Start’ to begin the rooting process.
It will take a few minutes for ODIN to flash the pre-rooted ROM to your device. While that happens, do not mess around with your device, disconnect it from the PC or let it get powered off. We also recommend not using your PC during the process to ensure everything goes smooth.
For queries and more information, please visit the official thread over at XDA-Developers at the link below.