The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 gets ClockworkMod Recovery! A few days back, we covered rooting the Note 3 with CF-Auto-Root by Chainfire. If you’re a power user, you already know how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on the device. However, if you’re an aspiring power user or a newbie who’s just getting started with customizing their Android device beyond what can be done with just root, we’ll walk you through the steps for installing the recovery on your phone in no time. The famous custom recovery has been ported to the Note 3 courtesy of XDA-Developers senior forum member, Chenglu, who has released the recovery for several variants of the Note 3, including the International n900 as well as the n9005, n900s and n900w8 models.
Not sure if a custom recovery is your cup of tea? See our guide on what is ClowkorkMod Recovery and how to use it to make an informed decision.
A few things you should know before flashing this recovery on your phone: the restore option is broken, so do not use it, otherwise you will be stuck in a bootloop. Also, make sure that the re-activation lock is set to off in the security settings of the Note 3.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process, or you permanently lose access to Samsung KNOX features.
- Windows PC with the latest Samsung USB drivers installed
- ODIN on your PC
- CWM Recovery for n900 | n9005 | n900s | n900w8
- Download the appropriate recovery file for your device. You can check your model number by going to Settings > About device > Model number.
- Launch ODIN and click the PDA button to select the downloaded tar file. Make sure that the Repartition and Auto Reboot options are unchecked.
- Now boot your phone into Download mode by powering it and then pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power keys together. Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed into download mode.
- Now connect your phone to the PC and make sure ODIN shows the device as connected (one of the white boxes on top will light up).
- Hit the Start button to begin flashing the recovery to your device. Once the file is flashed, unplug the device.
That is it! ClockworkMod Recovery should now be installed on your device. To boot into recovery, press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power keys together, letting go of the power button when you see the Smasung boot logo.
For updates and queries, head over to the XDA forum thread linked below.