A Google account is used for all sorts of services and not all services run on a phone, tablet, or desktop system. Some devices that require a Google account to set up do not have an input panel nor can they connect a keyboard.
In order to sign in to such a device with a Google account, a different authentication method has to be used.
Go to google.com/device on any browser and enter this code
Devices like a Chromecast can connect to apps on your phone and easily connect to a Google account. Devices like SmartTVs i.e., non-Google manufactured devices that still use a Google account to connect to it via a code.
The code is shown on the device and must be entered on a specific page that you’re directed to. This is the google.com/device page.
- Open your browser and sign in to your Google account. You can visit Gmail to sign in.
- Once signed in, generate an authentication code on your device. This will normally be done from the device’s Accounts or Set up section. It will differ from device to device.
- Note the authentication code down.
- In your browser, visit the google.com/device page.
- Enter the code and click Next.
- Sign in again if you’re prompted to.
- Once sign up is complete, you can close the page.
- Return to your device and your Google account will be logged in.
Manage connected devices
Devices that connect to your Google account via a code can’t disconnect with one. To remove such a device, you have to remove it from the list of connected devices under your Google Account settings.
- Open your browser and sign in to Gmail.
- Go to your Account page.
- Select Security from the column on the left.
- Scroll down to the Your Devices section.
- Click Manage devices.
- Click the more options (three dots) button next to the device you want to remove.
- Click Sign out from the menu.
- You will be signed out of the device.
The Google.com/devices page is nothing to worry about. It doesn’t offer much in the way of instructions since the instructions should be displayed on the device that is showing the code.
The code is a fail-safe method for connecting your device since it can’t be faked. It allows users to add devices that may not be on the same WiFi network as a phone or desktop system. It also offers third-party hardware and software manufacturers a simple way to allow users to connect their Google accounts.