Among Us is available on Windows, iOS, and Android. You can play Among Us on Linux with Steam Play which leaves macOS users to figure out how they can play the game on their desktop.
Among Us isn’t officially available on macOS which probably comes down to the developers not having the time or interest to port the game. It doesn’t exactly need a good gaming rig since FPS on Among Us doesn’t matter and the game isn’t resource-hungry in any way. In theory, it should run just fine on a Mac if it were officially supported.
Among Us on Mac
Generally speaking, there are two popular ways to play Among Us on Mac;
- Bluestacks Android Emulator.
While Bluestacks appears to work for some people, it can also fail to install and cause problems on a Mac. It also gives users the mobile version, and mobile controls, of the game on the desktop giving you a poor gaming experience.
Bootcamp works but installing an entirely new OS on your Mac alongside macOS just to play a game is excessive, not to mention complicated.
A much simpler method is to use WINE but setting it up can get complicated. To keep things simple, while still using WINE, we recommend using PlayOnMac.
Note: You will have to buy Among Us. This article is not a tutorial on how to pirate the game and we strongly discourage piracy.
Files for Among Us on Mac
To play Among Us on Mac, you must have the files for the game. You must buy the game to get these files. Buy Among US here, and download the game.
If you have access to a Windows 10 system, you can buy the game on Steam, download Among Us on it, and copy the game files from the Steam folder.
When copying files, make sure you copy the entire folder and not just the Among Us EXE file.
- Download PlayOnMac from its official website.
- Run the DMG file.
- Move the app to the Applications folder.
- Allow the files to be copied.
- Run PlayOnMac.
Play Among Us on Mac
Now that you have the files for Among Us, and you’ve Installed PlayOnMac, it’s time to install and play Among Us on your Mac.
- Run PlayOnMac.
- Click Install a Program in the column on the left.
- Click Install non-listed program.
- Select ‘Install a program to a new virtual drive’.
- Give the virtual drive a name. The name should not have a space in it.
- Select 64-bits Windows installation.
- You will see a prompt asking to install a Wine component. Allow it to install.
- Click the Browse button and select the Among Us EXE file.
- Allow the game to install and it will run.
InnerSloth hasn’t shown any interest in bringing the game to macOS. If you have a newer Mac i.e., a Mac with an M1 chip, you can install the iOS version of Among Us but again, you will get mobile controls and not desktop ones. You may run into a few prompts during the installation of the game, they’re nothing to worry about. Some steps take a few minutes to complete e.g., creating the virtual drive so be patient.