When you want to watch sports at home, especially sports from the UK or the rest of Europe, then the Pulse Sports add-on for Kodi is ideal for your needs. This add-on for the Kodi media centre software allows you to stream hundreds of sports channels so that you can watch whatever sport you like at a time which is convenient for you, from the comfort of your own sofa.
Pulse Sports is a very international add-on, meaning that it has sports content from all over the world. You can watch American channels like Sky Sports or ESPN, and UK channels like Racing UK, and European channels like Euro Sport.
- 1 It’s important to use a VPN when streaming sports
- 2 How to Install the Pulse Sports Add-on
- 3 Using the Pulse Sports add-on for Kodi
- 4 Related sports add-ons and apps
- 5 Conclusion
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.
It’s important to use a VPN when streaming sports
Before we get to the installation instructions for Pulse Sports, we need to consider security and privacy issues first. The Kodi media centre software itself is a fully open source project which is legal to use. However, add-ons like Pulse Sports are created by third-party developers and may infringe on copyright by streaming content without permission, so these add-ons exist in a legal grey area. If you use Kodi add-ons for streaming over an unsecured internet connection, you might be liable for a fine or could be prosecuted by authorities.
This happens because your Internet Service Provider, or ISP, has a record of all the sites you have visited and all the files you have downloaded. If a copyright holder or government agency suspects that you have been accessing content illegally, they can force your ISP to hand over all of their records of your internet activity. Then the copyright holder or agency can prove that you have accessed content illegally and prosecute you for it.
To protect yourself from these concerns, the best way to keep safe is to use a VPN whenever you stream or download content. A VPN is a piece of software which you install on your device and which encrypts all the data which leaves your device over your internet connection. This encryption means that even if your data is intercepted, such as by your ISP, law enforcement, or hackers, they cannot decrypt the stream to see what kind of content you have been accessing.
The upshot of a VPN is that it will improve your security against attacks from hackers, allow you to have more confidence in the privacy of your messages and communications, and let you stream or download content at a much lower risk to yourself.
Best VPN for Kodi
When you want to install a VPN, you might notice that there are hundreds of different VPN providers out there, some of which are more reliable and legitimate than others. You might have come across free VPN services and thought that they would be sufficient, but many of these services don’t have the features that you need. So how do you know what to look for in a VPN provider? What factors are important in choosing a VPN? To help you with this decision, we’ve put together a list of the factors that we think are most vital for a VPN provider to support in order to give you the best possible service:
- No logging. If the purpose of a VPN is to keep you safe from prying eyes, then there’s no point in using a VPN provider who will log or record your internet activity. Then they could be forced to hand over your records, just like your ISP is. To keep yourself safe, you need a VPN provider who will not keep any logs of your internet use.
- Fast speeds. When you want to use your VPN for streaming video, especially if it is in high quality, then you need plenty of bandwidth. A VPN with fast connection speeds is a must, so that you don’t have to wait around for streams to buffer or for websites to load.
- Plenty of servers. When you start your VPN program, you will connect to a server somewhere in the world. Some servers will be fast and more reliable than others, depending on your geographical location and other factors. If you find a server is busy, too slow, or not suited for your needs, then you’ll want to switch to another server. A good VPN provider will have hundreds of servers which you can connect to, so that you have plenty of options to find what you need.
- Servers in many countries. A useful feature of a VPN is the ability to spoof your location – that is, to make it look to a website as if you are accessing it from another place. For example, you might spoof a location within the USA so that you can access region-locked content on the ESPN website. To do this, your VPN needs to have a server available that you can connect to in the country which you are trying to spoof. For this reason, it’s useful to have a VPN provider which has servers available in a large number of different countries.
- Solid encryption. As a security concern, you want to be sure that your VPN provider uses strong encryption, so that it can’t easily be broken by government agencies or others.
- All types of traffic allowed. An appealing feature of a VPN is the ability to keep all of your data safely encrypted – and that means communications through VoIP protocols and P2P downloads like torrents as well as web browsing and video streaming. Many free VPNs disallow P2P downloads or other kinds of traffic, so if you want to keep yourself entirely safe then you need to find a VPN which allows all types of traffic.
- Support for many OSs and devices. As we said before, using a VPN is about keeping yourself safe in all of your internet use. Therefore, you need to use a VPN on all the devices you use regularly, which might include a desktop, a laptop, a phone, and/or a tablet. You don’t want to have to deal with a different VPN provider for every device, so make sure that the provider you choose supports all of the devices you need it to.
We recommend IPVanish
With all of the factors we mentioned above in mind, the VPN provider that we recommend is IPVanish. This service has more than 850 servers in over 60 countries, and offers lightning fast connection speeds which are perfect for streaming high definition video. They use strong 256-bit encryption as well as the newest high-security VPN protocols, in order to keep your data safe. Most importantly, they have a strict no-logging policy so they won’t keep records of your internet use.
Further beneficial features of IPVanish are that it allows all kinds of traffic, with no restrictions on P2P downloads, VoIP, or other file types. Importantly, it has no data caps or restrictions, so you can use your connection as much as you want without having to worry about hitting a cap. And finally, it offers software for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS, so you can protect all of your devices. It even has an option to install software which you can install directly onto your router so that all traffic on your home network is automatically encrypted before it leaves, keeping everyone who uses your network safe.
IPVanish offers a 7-day money back guarantee which means you have a week to test it risk-free. Please note that Addictive Tips readers can save a massive 60% here on the IPVanish annual plan, taking the monthly price down to only $4.87/mo.
How to Install the Pulse Sports Add-on
From the SuperRepo repository
Now that you have a VPN in place, we can install the Pulse Sports add-on. To do this, we first need to add the Super Repo repository to our Kodi installation before we install the add-on itself. Here’s how to do that:
- Start on your Kodi home screen
- Go to SYSTEM and then to File manager
- Find an icon of a disk drive with a plus on it and choose Add source from this menu
- Click on the text input box where it says <None>
- Enter the following URL: http://srp.nu/. Make sure you type the URL exactly correctly, including the http://, or it will not work properly
- Name the source. We’ll call it Super Repo
- Click on OK
- Wait for a second and you’ll see a notification that the source was added
- Go back to your home screen
- Go to SYSTEM and then to Add-ons
- Choose Install from zip file
- Choose the Super Repo directory
- Open the krypton folder, and then the all folder
- Find the file called superrepo.kodi.krypton.all-0.7.04.zip and click on it
- Wait for a second and you’ll see a notification that the repository was added.
Now the repository has been added, we install the actual add-on:
- Start on your Kodi home screen
- Go to SYSTEM then to Settings
- Go to Add-ons
- Go to Install from repository
- Find the item for Super Repo and click it
- Go to Video add-ons
- Click on Pulse Sports
- Choose install from the left hand menu
- Wait for a second and you’ll see a notification that the add-on was installed
- That’s it, you’re done and you’re ready to watch!
Pulse Sports is NOT Installing: Install the Pulse CCM Build from Ares Wizard
Sometimes SuperRepo is slow. Because of server connections all operations could timeout and you won’t be able to add the Pulse Sports add-on no matter how many times you try (while finding that it works, the next morning). As an alternative, we recommend you to install the PULSE BUILD from the Ares Wizard repository — and we have a full guide to install Ares.
After you’re done installing Ares Wizard, on the main screen click Browse builds and then select Pulse. At the time of writing, the Pulse build was installed 1.5 million times, only this week. Click on Pulse CCM and your Kodi version (Krypton in our case).
Kodi will restart and then you’ll have a new build on your machine.
Hit the Sports section and there you go, Pulse Sports in all its glory.
Using the Pulse Sports add-on for Kodi
With everything installed, we’re ready to start using Pulse Sports to stream the latest sporting events on various channels.
- Go to VIDEOS then to Add-ons
- Scroll through the list until you see Pulse Sports. The text will be in blue and red so it’s easy to spot. Click on the name
- You’ll see a list of options: Live Sports, Sports Streams, Live TV, and Test
- Sometimes you’ll also see links for specific sports, like UFC or Boxing. These are for when there is a big event on, and click on these sections will take you to streams of the events that are currently happening
- Alternatively, you can use the Sports Streams section to find channels organised by sport, such as football, boxing, or arena sports
- But we want to watch general sports channels, so we’ll click on Live Sports
- This will bring up a list of channels, like Sky Sports 1 – 5, Sly Sports News, BT Sports, Premier Sports, and more
- Click on the channel that you want and the stream will begin
Interestingly, the Live TV section of Pulse Sports can be useful for watching non-sports channels too. It has sections like UK TV, so if you’re a BBC fan then you can stream the BBC 1 – 4 channels as well as many others from this section. If you want a full add-on for streaming TV shows then we re recommend checking out a specific add-on like Goodfellas 2.0, but it’s a nice addition to be able to access this content through Pulse Sports too.
One issue with this add-on is the quality of streams. Generally, the big channels like ESPN will stream in good quality, however, smaller and more obscure channels will sometimes stream in low quality. Low quality videos are particularly bad for watching sports as video tearing makes it hard to follow the action on screen. If this is a problem for you, you might consider installing an alternative add-on like the ESPN 3 add-on which has high quality streams.
Related sports add-ons and apps
Before you go, you should check out our other articles on Kodi and watching live streams of sports events. If you like the Pulse Sports add-on for Kodi, then you might enjoy some of our other sports content here on Addictive Tips:
- Install the ESPN 3 Add-on for Kodi – Watch Live Sports with ESPN 3
- Yahoo! Sports Comes To iPad, Gets Better Live Coverage On iOS, Android
- Follow News From The Sporting World On Windows 8 With Sports Republic
- Get Breaking News Of Your Favorite Sports With Official ESPN App For Windows 8
- SportsYapper For Android: Have Real-Time Discussions With Fans Of Your Favorite Sports
The Pulse Sports add-on for Kodi makes it easier than ever to watch your favourite live sports at your leisure. Did you have any troubles installing it onto your system? Do you have any hot tips on getting the most out of Pulse Sports? Leave a comment below, we’d love to hear from you!