FIFA World Cup 2018 Group D has a little bit of everything on offer. There is one of the tournament favorites in Argentina, who with the likes of Lionel Messi in their side, will be many people’s tip to win the group. Iceland will one of the neutral’s preferred teams after their heroics at Euro 2016, when they beat England en-route to the quarter finals. Croatia is seen by many as an outside shot at the title and undoubtedly boast some star names in the likes of Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic. And Nigeria is arriving with swagger, enthusiasm, the tournament’s stand-out kit, and a squad of considerable potential too.
- 1 Best VPN to watch Group D of the World Cup
- 2 How to use ExpressVPN to stream Group D World Cup matches
- 3 Where to watch World Cup Group D Games
- 4 All about World Cup Group D
- 5 Conclusion
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.
If you want to watch Argentina v Iceland, Croatia v Nigeria and any other Group D game live online, it can depend on where you live and how much you are willing to pay. Every World Cup game is offered free to air or on affordable cable channels in some parts of the world. But that isn’t the case everywhere. However, you can still use a VPN to stream live Group D games for free from anywhere in the world. And in this article, we will show exactly how to do it.
Best VPN to watch Group D of the World Cup
If you are not lucky enough to live in a country where the World Cup is available on a free-to-air or affordable cable channel, you will need to use a VPN to access coverage from another country. That’s because broadcasters routinely use geo-blocking techniques to stop users outside their own country from accessing their streams. They are required to do this, but the system is not fool-proof and a VPN can help you get around it by fooling a broadcaster into thinking you are in a country even when you aren’t. As an example, if you connect to a VPN server in the UK, you can watch games on UK broadcasters BBC or ITV for free from anywhere in the world. It’s really easy. The only question is which VPN provider to use. We have tested them all and found that there is one VPN provider which is head and shoulders above the rest:
Our recommended VPN to watch Group D of the World Cup is ExpressVPN.
Reader special deal: get three months free for the yearly plan.
- Works with US Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu and other services
- Reliable and fast connections
- Torrenting allowed
- Strict no-logs policy
- 24/7 Chat Support.
- Month-to-month plan has high cost.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for streaming World Cup games around the world. They have the lightning-fast connections you need to stream games reliably online. ExpressVPN is one of the securest providers around too, with 256-bit encryption offered as standard and several additional security features such as an IP address checker and DNS leak protection. They have strong privacy protections too including a guaranteed no-logging policy. All ExpressVPN subscribers have access to one of the biggest networks of servers around too. They have more than1,500 servers available across 94 different countries. They also have no data limits either, meaning you can stream as many live games as you like. ExpressVPN offers user-friendly apps available for almost every device you can think of too. Put everything together and they offer a World Cup VPN service no other providers can match. You can read our full ExpressVPN review here.
How to use ExpressVPN to stream Group D World Cup matches
Once you have chosen ExpressVPN as your VPN for the World Cup, the next step is to get the service up and running. That is much easier than you might think. However, if you are new to VPNs, it still might seem a little daunting. This is why we have compiled a simple step-by-step guide for you to use. As an example, we have used UK broadcasters BBC and ITV, but the same process will apply to all the others too:
- Visit the ExpressVPN website and select your preferred subscription package. Then just follow the simple onscreen instructions to sign up.
- Next, click on the Products section of their website and download their app for your chosen device. You can also find it in all the usual app stores too.
- Open the ExpressVPN app and use the activation code provided in step 1 to log in.
- Select a United Kingdom server and click on it. If ExpressVPN doesn’t connect automatically, click the Connect button.
- Finally, open the BBC iPlayer or ITV Hub websites to stream the games. Both services require users to have an account to sign in. But to do this, all you have to do is provide them with a UK postcode. Any you can find will be ok as they don’t check them.
Where to watch World Cup Group D Games
In lots of different countries, all the matches from the World Cup Group D will be available at either no cost or a very minimal one. This means that, while you can opt for a third-party unofficial stream, such as those available on Kodi there is no real reason to risk the unreliable connections such feeds often endure. With a VPN, you can choose whichever broadcaster you want from anywhere in the world. To help you choose, here are a few of the best regarded international broadcasters to choose from:
- UK – The BBC and ITV are sharing the rights to all the World Cup games in the UK. Both are free-to-air channels and offer live streams for free too. This means if you visit the BBC iPlayer or the ITV Hub websites with a VPN connected to the UK, you can watch all the Group D matches for free.
- USA –Fox Sports holds the exclusive rights to stream matches with English commentary in the USA. You can access their coverage online for free if it is included in your Cable package or Sling TV subscription. If not, you can sign up for their FOX Soccer Match Pass. It will set you back about $19.99 a month but does also offer a 7-day trial period. Meanwhile, Spanish language coverage is also available on Telemundo Deportes, whose coverage will be streamed on the NBC Sports app.
- Canada – Three Canadian broadcasters are broadcasting every World Cup game live. CTV, RDS, and TSN all have live streams available too, but you will need a cable TV signup to watch each provider.
- Australia – Optus Sports is the only channel streaming every World Cup game in Oz. You can watch Optus Sports as part of any Optus packages, but you can also choose to sign up for just the sports channel for just A$15 per month.
All about World Cup Group D
All the press talk about Argentina is once again focused on Lionel Messi. The best player in the world is still yet to win a major international title and this tournament is expected to be his last. He is not the only quality player in the Argentine ranks. They also boast world-class attacking talent like Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain and Angel Di Maria. They are a little less solid at the back but have the potential to outscore anyone. Beaten finalists at the last World Cup in 2014, they will hope to go one better this time. And few would bet against them is Messi is firing on all cylinders.
Iceland is the smallest country ever to compete in a World Cup. But they are here on merit after topping a tough European qualifying group. They impressed at Euro 2016, upsetting England in the last-16 there and will hope to pull out a few surprises this time around. They have few stand-out players but instead have moulded a fantastic team spirit that sees average players consistently over-perform on the international stage. Group D is a tough one, but it would be a fool to bet against Iceland causing an upset or two.
Croatia hasn’t got out of a World Cup group since they finished third in their debut tournament in 1998. But this latest side is an impressive one on paper and their performances in the run-up to the tournament suggest they could go far. Their star men include Real Madrid’s Luka Modric, Barcelona’s Ivan Rakitic and Juventus’ Mario Mandzukic. But there is plenty of top-level experience elsewhere in the squad and more than few pundits have tipped them as an outside bet to reach the last four or go even further.
This is Nigeria’s sixth World Cup and they will be the only sub-Saharan African nation competing in Russia. With the expectations of a continent, as well as the tournament’s most garish shirt, on their backs, they will certainly generate a party atmosphere. Whether they have the quality to improve on their best ever World Cup performance of a last-16 place, looks less likely, but with players like Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi on song, the Super Eagles could spring a surprise or two.
On paper, Group D looks to be a stroll for Argentina. But big countries have come unstuck in such a group before and every other side will view Messi and co as a scalp they want to take. Croatia too look to be strong favorites to progress, but both Nigeria and Iceland have upset big teams before, so who’s to say they can’t do it again here. In this article, we have explained how to watch every Group D game live no matter in the world you are. All you need to do is use a VPN to circumvent broadcasters geo-blocking. ExpressVPN is our recommendation for this and in this article, we have shown you exactly how to do it.
If you have any thoughts comments or tips on any aspect of this article, why not share them with us using the comment box below? We always welcome the comments and thoughts of all our readers!