Earlier we had covered a guide on installing ClockworkMod recovery on the Acer Iconia, making installation of custom ROMs a total breeze. Earlier we covered did cover a custom ROM for the Iconia based on Android 3.1, but what makes this ROM special is the built in ability to record videos at 1080p instead of the native 720p. The ROM sports a lot of other features as well, so read on for more on that and how to install it on your Iconia!
The ROM named Virtuous Picasso has been released by XDA-Developers forum member m-deejay and is based on the Asus Transformer ROM 184.108.40.206. As far as 1080p video recording capabilities are concerned, this was originally a hack that has now been integrated onto this ROM. The ROM sports the following features right now:
- Multilanguage support.
- Improved EXT4 performance.
- Virtuous CPU scaling scripts.
- TweetComb / FriendMe.
- Photo 3D browser.
- Photo Editor.
- Polaris Office.
- Google Video Service.
- Busybox / Superuser.
- 3G modem support (Huawei).
- Nano text editor support.
- Bash command shell support.
- Advanced power menu.
- 1080p video recording. (Mp4 file format.)
- 720p front camera. (Mp4 file format.)
You can see a few screenshots of the ROM in action, courtesy of the developer. (Click for a larger view.)
You can also see a video of the ROM running on the Iconia.
Now that you know what this ROM is all about, let’s get it up and running on your device!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Acer Iconia A500. See our guide on rooting the Iconia A500.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. See our guide on installing ClockworkMod recovery on the Iconia A500.
- Virtuous Picasso ROM.
- To begin, copy the ROM and patch you downloaded from the link above, to the root of your SD card.
- Once the files are copied, reboot your device into recovery mode. (Power off the device and hold the Power button and Volume down until text in the upper left corner appears. When it does release the Volume down button.)
- Once in the recovery, make a NANDroid backup.
- Now, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and Dalvick cache.
- Once done, simply flash the ROM you copied to your SD card and let it install.
- Once the ROM is flashed, flash the patch file as well.
- Now simply reboot your device and cross your fingers!
That’s it, your Iconia should boot into the new Android 3.1 custom ROM! For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.