We saw the awesome Webtop technology from Motorola when the Atrix 4G made its debut. This trend has carried on, and now it’s the Droid Razr that carries this technology as well. While the concept of Webtop and its use is superb for the users, it does come at a certain price. Webtop on the Droid Razr or for that matter the earlier devices, cannot be used till you have those pricey Motorola branded docks. However, thanks to XDA-Developers forum member Fenny, you can now simply use your HDMI cable to enable Webtop, removing the need for those price docks.
This mod, according to the developer, “removes the device ID string check from PortalApp, and enables the webtop option in DockService. Replacing these two apk files effectively allows the webtop to launch without proprietary hardware.”
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Verizon Droid Razr with custom recovery installed. See our guide on rooting and installing custom recovery on the Droid Razr
- To begin, download the zip file and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot the Razr into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the zip file.
- Once the file is flashed, simply reboot your device.
For updates and queries, head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.