Things seem to be on the on the roll for the Photon 4G with development for the device moving at a fast pace. From when it was first rooted as soon as it arrived on the scene, we now come across the second custom ROM for the device that is Moto Blur based. With the bootloader unlocked one would expect some pure Android ROM to be released, but hopefully that shall happen soon. For now, you only have two custom ROMs available for the device and this would be the latest one. Named Alien ROM, it has been developed by XDA-Developers forum member kennethpenn and is a mix of Gingerbread and Blur with an added green theme to it.
Credits to Fenrir/Ririal for the Build.prop fixes, Juwe11 for the RAM optimizations, nikademus for the FuguTweaks, sonnysekhon, and Yay 4 Juggs for the leaked firmware.
Of course you have the option to revert back to the stock Motorola theme if you wish to. The ROM is a beta for now and packs the following features:
- Rooted and deodexed with busybox installed.
- PNG Optimized.
- Zipaligned (system and data apps).
- HSPA/3G icons are different (reports with accuracy).
- SIP not Wi-Fi only.
- Some bloat removed.
- Skip blur setup option.
- Battery percentage MOD.
- Network select menu open.
- Menu button lockscreen bypass (when unsecured).
- Google Talk over 3G.
- Dock Settings.
- Modded stock Android Launcher for speed and Blur widget compatibility.
- Inverted applications and Settings.
- Juwe11 optimizations (modded for Photon).
- Superuser Beta.
- Proximity sensor hack on build.prop.
- GPU hack on build.prop.
- WiFi battery saving hack on build.prop.
- Google Android 2.3.5 application framework.
Below are a few screenshots courtesy of the developer.
So if you like what you see, and want this on your Photon 4G, here’s how you can get this ROM up and running on your device.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Motorola Photon 4G. See our guide on rooting the Photon 4G.
- Custom ClockworkMod recovery installed. See our guide on installing ClockworkMod recovery on the Photon 4G.
- Alien ROM.
- To begin, download the ROM and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Now reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- That done, select wipe data factory/reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Now navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Selecting the ROM will initiate the installation of the ROM, so wait for the process to complete, and once it does, simply reboot your device.
That’s it, you should now boot into the Pure Shooter 3 ROM for the Droid Incredible. For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.